• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool Refrigerator WRF736SDAM14 Not Cooling

JR2007

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF736SDAM14
Brand
Whirlpool
Problem began a little over a month ago, when it stopped making any/much ice. I ran diagnostics at that time, but we also coincidentally cleaned out the bottom freezer portion and the following day I had a full bucket of ice. At that point I figured the freezer just needed a chance to defrost.

In the last week, the freezer seems to be losing it's freeze on occasion (sometimes kid's ice pops are frozen, sometimes they're liquid). It was also doing this to a lesser degree a month ago when it stopped making ice. Now, in the last couple days the refrigerator is not maintaining temperature. Whereas last month I could put my hand through the door where ice is made and it was cold/frozen (even while not making much ice), now it is warm.

These seem to be the pertinent diagnostic codes:

Service Test-56: Ice Maker Error Codes
E5 = Ice maker thermistor is bad. Ice storage temperature satisfied but ice mold in frozen state too long. Possible ice mold thermistor issue.

Service Test-58: Ice Maker Heater Activation and Thermistor
00 = ice maker heater off; temperature warmer than harvest temperature

Guessing the thermistor seems to be the culprit, but wanted to verify I'm not missing anything or if any other steps should be taken.

Thanks in advance!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

We will need to know the real time temperature inside the freezer, put a freezer thermometer inside the freezer and let us know the temperature after its in there for about 2 hours. Get the liquid or digital style, Walmart, Target and most stores sell freezer thermometers.

Also do you hear the freezer fan running inside the freezer at all times while the compressor is running?

Jake

JR2007

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thank you so much for your response. I haven’t had a chance to get a freezer thermometer yet, but our kid’s forehead point thermometer reads about 57 degrees in the refrigerator and low in the freezer. The freezer is definitely cold, likely below freezing.

I have some updates since the first post. After taking out the freezer drawers, I realized the entire back wall was frozen was ice. I melted the wall (not the coils behind it) with a blow dryer last and this morning the refrigerator did seem much cooler. There still wasn’t ice in bin, but I ran the ice harvest test and did get a few ice cubes to come out. I also ran a few more tests which seem pertinent.

Both FC and RC Thermistor tests pass. Service Test 3 (Evaporator Fan and Air Baffle Motors) blinks 01 (fan on/baffle open) x 4, then 02 (fan on/baffle closed) x 6 on repeat. Service Test 6 (Defrost Heater/Bi-Metal) blinks 02 (bi-metal open).

The freezer fan seems to be running continuously.

Based on the frozen back wall and Service Test 6 showing Bi-Metal open, so now questioning if this is instead a defrost thermostat issue instead. Let me know what you think.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, with the evaportor coil in the freezer frosted up like that the Bi-Metal should be closed, not open. So your Bi-metal is bad and causing this problem.

On your model the Bi-metal only comes with the evaporator fan motor, so you will need to order the evaporator fan motor to get the new Bi-metal.

Here it is for your model you can order:

This video gives you the general idea of how to replace it:

Jake

JR2007

Premium Member
Thanks Jake! I’ll order right away and follow up.

Just to confirm, since it comes with the evaporator fan, I’ll end up replacing the entire unit?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, when it comes with the evaporator fan motor you replace the evaporator fan motor too with it.:)

Yes, keep us posted.:)

Jake

JR2007

Premium Member
Finally got around to putting it in last night. The video linked was very helpful. Now 24 hours later everything seems to be cooling well and I’ve got a full bin of ice!

Thank you so much for your prompt responses and expert advice!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent JR, glad to hear the new evaporator fan motor/Bi-metal assembly fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake