• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool Refrigerator WRF989SDAH02 Fridge Not Cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

blessedpop

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF989SDAH02
Brand
Whirlpool
I have searched the forums for a solution, and based on that I think it could be an evaporator fan motor or condenser fan motor. the freezer has no issues but i am measuring 52 degrees in the fridge part. i have noticed a fan making a lot of noise recently, just coudnt pinpoint which fan it was. now i hear no more fan noise, so not sure if it has quit or what.

looking for the best place to start troubleshooting. help appreciated.

thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, it sounds like that refrigerator section fan motor is the issue.

Here's the evaporator fan motor for the refrigerator section for your model:
W10633627 Motor-Evap

Here's another member that reported the same:

Look at page 5-9 and 5-10 here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s5wx9d9xppw3wry/R-114 JOB AID W10444924.pdf?dl=0

It will show you how to access/replace it, you may have to remove the Air Tower and the Deli Drawer first, Deli Drawer removal is on 5-7 and 5-8.

Jake

blessedpop

Premium Member
thanks jake, i ran the service diagnostics in the procedure you linked and under step 3 of service test 3, at both 13 and 23, there is no air flow in the left side of the fridge (assuming at top left vent). at step 04 of service test 3 there is air flow at that same vent. that indicates to me that RC fan isn't working but FC is working. what is RC, is that the fan you mention above?

well, i guess the vent at the top left front is actually for the FC, so shouldnt be any air flow through there at step 13. where is the pantry in this step: "Verify air flow inside pantry on left hand side when damper is open (13 displayed)"

Last edited:

blessedpop

Premium Member
Regardless of where the air is supposed to come out, during step 13 I didn't hear any fan running, so that's a good indication that the RC fan is bad.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
RC fan--->Refrigerator Fan
FC fan--->Freezer Fan

Jake

blessedpop

Premium Member
RC fan--->Refrigerator Fan
FC fan--->Freezer Fan

Jake
Thank you Jake. Apparently this fan motor is on backorder everywhere across the country, with no definite time of availability. Does anyone know of a replacement that could be used?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't know of a replacement that can be used, sorry.

Jake

blessedpop

Premium Member
Ok, so i did finally got the W10633627 Motor-Evap, and it was delivered today. i installed it and fridge back in service with a temp of around 38 in the FC. So that issue is fixed, THANK YOU JAKE!

I did go back through the diagnostics in the procedure and under step 3 of service test 3, at both 13 and 23, there is now air flow in the left side. at step 23 the damper is supposed to be closed, but i am still getting air flow into the pantry at step 23. so sounds like the damper is not working properly. i do hear it moving during the test.

what does that damper do, and is there a problem if it is always open? i can imagine that it would freeze that pantry. the temperature shown on the display for that pantry drawer is 32, but that is the same thing it was reading before i replaced the evaporator motor today. is that a good indication that the damper motor is stuck open?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, Great to hear the new refrigerator evaporator fan motor fixed it.(y)

Service Test - 3 Evaporator fan motor and air baffle motor
--->Control the RC & FC Evaporator Fan Mtrs. by depressing SW3 (01= Both Fan Mtr. off. 02 =FC Fan on.)
--->Depress SW3 once to advance. Step 3 will flash quickly and advances to steps 13/23 very quickly. The result is RC Fan on, Pantry Air Damper on. Pantry Air Damper will open and close automatically. (13= Damper Open. 23= Damper Closed). --->Verify air flow inside pantry on left hand side when damper is open, (13 displayed). Air flow in pantry will cease when 23 is displayed).
--->Depress SW3 to advance to last step. (04 = Both RC & FC fans on).

Since its not closing at 23, then its bad too, Here's the part you need:

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.