• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Refrigerator WRF989SDAH02 ice maker error E5

jsmith218

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF989SDAH02
Brand
Whirlpool
The ice maker in my Whirlpool stopped making ice, since I had replaced it a year ago I knew how to check for codes, last time the motor went out. This time it said E5, all I could find was it's the thermistor and I needed to replace the ice maker again, so I did. After I installed it I ran the motor test to make sure it was at home, then I filled it and waited. The next day it still hadn't dump the ice, so I manually forced it to. The next morning there was new ice so I thought "fixed".

Well, it's still not making ice consistently like it should, and I see some ice in the bucket that doesn't look like it froze all the way through before it was dumped and I'm seeing E5 again. Did I get a bad one or is there something else going on? The tech sheet says E5 is Timed Ice Making. Any help would be awesome!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

It funny you mentioned this, Rick posted in our back room coffee shop what that E5 means a few days ago.

Service Test - 56 Ice Maker Error Codes
• Displays active Ice Maker Error Codes on the UI display. (E0 = No Errors, E1 = No Cooling, E2 = Motor
Lost Position, E3 = Heater Timeout, E4 = Dry Cycle, E5 = Timed Ice Making)

E5 = Timed ice making--->This code indicates the ice maker thermistor is warmer than 16° and the ice bin thermistor has been below 45° for 3 hours. An E5 can be the result of a defective IM thermistor, bin
thermistor, loose thermistor connection, ice box fan not running or a cooling issue.

So the first thing you will want to do is put a thermometer in the ice maker compartment and tell us what it reads after a couple hours. You can get freezer thermometers are Walmart or Target, get the liquid or digital type, not the dial type.

Do you hear the ice maker fan motor running?

Jake

jsmith218

Premium Member
I put a thermometer in there and will report back, when I hit the fast ice button the fan turns on but I went back to check on it and I don't hear it now. I did notice about the time this started that the ice seemed like it might have melted a bit, like it wasn't cold enough in there. Hopefully my grilling thermometer will go that low. Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
32 is way too warm. Needs to be 16 degrees or lower at all times to make ice continually.

Sounds like the ice maker fan is not running properly.

I'm attaching the tech data sheet for your model below. You will need a multimeter to do voltage checks. Then get access to the Ice Box Fan and check for 14 Volts DC across any of the 3 wires while in Service Test 36 with the fan ON . If the voltage is correct then your Ice Box Fan is bad and you will need to order it.

Service Test - 36 Ice Box Fan
• Check for fan operation. Control Ice Box Fan using SW3. Display the status on Temp Display.
(01 = ON, 02 = OFF). Verify air flow from the IB fan.

Here's the ice box fan for your model(Video to get access/replace it is in the part link):
Fan Motor W10846539

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W10591246 - Rev A.pdf
    286.8 KB · Views: 68

jsmith218

Premium Member
I ran test 36, the fan ran and I got 13.89 volts. The fan won't turn on when I turn on fast ice, it used to, seems like the test is the only way to turn the fan on.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The fan won't turn on when I turn on fast ice, it used to,
Did you get 13 Volts DC when it didn't turn on in FAST ICE?

If not, then the control board is the culprit:
whirlpool-cntrl-elec-wpw10589837-ap6023258_01_m.jpg

Jake

jsmith218

Premium Member
I'm pretty sure that even when the fast ice was working correctly, it would turn off when I open the door, so I wouldn't be able to test that would I? I'm not sure what to do.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, just hold the door switch in and test it, or tape the door switch in and test it.

Jake

jsmith218

Premium Member
This is a french style with the freezer on the bottom, I just noticed there are some popsicles in the bottom drawer of the freezer that are getting soft, does that info help?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, do you see frost build-up on the back panel inside the freezer?

Do you hear the fan motor in the freezer running?

Put a thermometer inside the freezer overnight and see what it reads in the morning.

Jake

jsmith218

Premium Member
There is no frost built up on the back of the freezer and the fan is running, it is 15 degrees. The fan in the ice box was running this morning and it made ice on it's own, things aren't being consistent.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, 15 degrees is still too high, normal should always be 0 to 10 degrees at all times.

You may have a sealed system problem, check your owners manual warranty, some models have a 5 year warranty on the sealed system.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It sounds like you got more than 1 problem.

The more important problem is the temperature not getting cold enough in the freezer, thus that also keeps the ice maker from working properly.

At this point its best to contact Whirlpool at 1-866-698-2538 and have a tech. come out to see what's going on.

Jake