Whirlpool Refrigerator WRF991BOOM01 - Compressor Running HOT

Stoltz

Premium Member
Model
WRF991BOOM01
Brand
Whirlpool
Hey guys, got one that's stumped me. I have a Whirlpool Gold Series Side by Side, Bottom freezer unit. Problem was it stopped making ice and began not to cool. Fridge first then the freezer. SOOOO, me and YouTube deduced that it was most likely the Inverter. Soooo, I replace the Inverter at a cost of $250.00 or so. I just installed the New Inverter and the Fridge and freezer are working well. However, the compressor is EXTREAMLY HOT to touch. Like touch, count to 10 and go put burn cream on. HOT. No ice has been mad yet. Before I Installed the New Inverter, when it was plugged in in sounded like the compressor was running at half speed but always tried to start. With the New Inverter installed the compressor now sounds like its running at full speed. QUESTION: Is this normal start up HEAT or is the a fried compressor ??? I am very wary of putting unit back together and the compressor starting a fire !!!

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Inverter Compressor operation is extremely smooth and cool. The compressor exterior may be slightly higher than room temperature while operating. Most of the time with inverter compressors I need to unplug the machine then plug it back in and feel for the vibration when it starts just to check if it's running. Check the compressor windings. Should be 9-11 ohms between any two pins. Amp draw should be less than 2 amps.

Stoltz

Premium Member
ok. I don't have an OHMs Meter. Do have an amp tester. So while running test any two pins at the compressor attachment. Should be less than 2 amp on both pins. If not then is that a fried compressor???? Thanks in advance.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
You can't check it that way. If it's a clamp style amp probe just go around one of the power cord wires.