• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Refrigerator WRS325SDHZ00 warm in freezer, no ice harvest

down1nit

Premium Member
Model Number
WRS325SDHZ00
Brand
Whirlpool
First time doing fridge stuff, apologies in advance for dumbness.

Wet ice in the ice maker mold so I took a temp reading with a FLIR i have. My FLIR shows my FC at 2 degrees C and the diagnostics test came back with an open ice maker thermistor on step 33, additionally the ice maker does not run the previous test with regard to harvesting. The harvest goes ok if i jumper it and wet ice comes out. Even after overnight. The rest of the tests seem to pass OK. Door seals are smooth and clean. I cleaned my coils underneath and behind a few days ago as a first step to make sure. There was A LOT of pet hair so that got me hopeful but no difference.

Fans run OK, air comes thru baffle to fridge side. I have not opened the back panel nor run a manual defrost yet, and I have not verified the compressor is getting warm. Coils seem oddly cool but honestly ive never touched them so i don't know how hot they get under load.

Could the Ice Maker Thermostat cause an above freezing thing? I doubt it but worth a question!

down1nit

Premium Member
I want to add, I've ordered a FC Thermistor AND and ice maker Thermostat just in case it's either one. Going to attempt peeking behind panel to see if there's frost.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Since I don't know Celsius, converting 2 C is 35 F.

So if the compressor and fans are all running and its only 35 F in the freezer, then you either have a sealed system problem, or auto defrost problem.

You will need to remove the freezer back panel to look at the frost pattern of your evaporator coil.

Here's the parts diagram for your model:
#14 is the freezer back panel

This video shows you how:

Look at the photos below, the very bottom photo is a NORMAL FROST PATTERN:

Frost Patterns.jpg

down1nit

Premium Member
Frost pattern 100% consistent with sealed system leak. Got that Geek Squad warranty. Honestly the only time I EVER buy from Best Buy is to get the warranty on big appliances.

Thanks Jake. Heading to donation station.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that is correct, sealed system problem.

Thanks for the Donation!

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.