• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool Refrigerator WRS588FIHZ00 - overfilling ice tray

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneInTexas

Premium Member
Model Number
WRS588FIHZ00
Brand
Whirlpool
Ice maker stopped making ice. Bin was empty so it had not been making ice for at least a couple of days. Inspection revealed the tray was positioned upside down (obviously empty). Thinking unit may be frozen up (temp stays steady around 5 degrees) a hair dryer was used to warm things up. A few hours later an inspection showed the ice tray had returned to the upright position. For next day (or two), ice was being produced (kind of). Cubes were not normal size or shape, more blob shaped. Also signs of water leakage could be observed that had run down the inside compartment plastic shields and had frozen. Removed plastic cover today and the tray is upright and frozen over, but resembles what you would see at a river spillway that had iced over - see attached.

My guess......The water is double (or more) filling and the tray is not dumping. Thoughts? Replace just the ice maker unit?

Attachments

• IMG_20210708_120756_Smaller.jpg
    IMG_20210708_120756_Smaller.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 51

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, your ice maker is bad, seen that many times on my service calls.

Here's another member that had this same problem, and the new ice maker fixed it:

Here's the ice maker for your model you can order:
W10873791 Ice Maker

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Wayne, sounds good, yes keep us posted.:)

Jake

WayneInTexas

Premium Member
The new ice maker has been installed for about 3 days now. We tossed ice from day 1 and it seems to be doing the job making the right size and quantity. I noticed the old unit, in addition to not working, seemed to have warped somehow. I enclosed a picture just for viewing. The front of the tray looks square but the back looks tilted or warped. Could that have been from the heating element getting stuck in a cycle and overheating the tray causing it to twist?

I appreciate the assistance here getting my problem resolved, but I want to mention one thing I was not exactly pleased with:

The new unit came in a box that could have held 3 or 4 ice makers and the new ice maker only had a thin plastic wrap and NO padding or blister wrapping whatsoever. The unit rattled around in the box so I was initially concerned it might have been damaged in shipping. Luckily that was not the case. You might want to forward this comment to your shipping department so as to avoid damaged returns.

Attachments

• IMG_20210716_125741_Smaller.jpg
    IMG_20210716_125741_Smaller.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 34

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to hear the new ice maker is working good Wayne.(y)

The front of the tray looks square but the back looks tilted or warped. Could that have been from the heating element getting stuck in a cycle and overheating the tray causing it to twist?
No, the defrost heater doesn't cause that problem, its just a bad ice maker that causes it. Whirlpool could of spent a little more money for better quality plastic that wouldn't do that. But big corporate companies try to pinch every penny these days, They shouldn't, but they do unfortunately.

We don't own or work for AppliancePartsPros We refer people to their site to order parts. Its best to contact them directly for the shipping concerns you have.

I order my local parts from them as well, and sometimes the box it larger and the part moves around in it, but its always boxed securely in the original parts box and my parts I always get from them always work fine after I install them.

You also have a 365 day warranty on all parts you order from them.

Jake

WayneInTexas

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I will pass my concerns on to them. The unit did not have an original parts box. Was a loose ice maker in a loose plastic bag (open at one end) and was laying inside the large box that could have accommodated 2 or 3 more units. Now I'm wondering why there was no "original parts box", something I was not aware even existed.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The unit did not have an original parts box. Was a loose ice maker in a loose plastic bag (open at one end) and was laying inside the large box that could have accommodated 2 or 3 more units.
Oh ok, yes that's different, it should not have come that way.

You can call them at 1-877-477-7278 and tell them that, and they should be able to ship you another new one. Let them know that it didn't come secure in its original parts box.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It should of come like this:

Screenshot 2021-07-17 18.16.05.png

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
With the outside of the box like this:

Screenshot 2021-07-17 18.20.21.png

WayneInTexas

Premium Member
Thanks for showing me HOW it should have been packaged. I just found the cardboard box (not put out for recycling yet) and attached 2 photos.

The box DOES have the outer print that says it's "Factory Certified Parts". However, there was no taped internal cardboard blocker to keep it from bouncing around. The plastic wrap appears to be the same as what I remember,, but it's as if it was just put in the plastic bag and dropped in the box to bounce around.

When you said above "original parts box", I was thinking you were describing a smaller box around the ice maker inside the larger box, not taped to internal cardboard to keep it secure. I had not yet gone digging for the box it came in.

Now I'm really beginning to wonder if it was a return, but here's the strange thing. You can see the box seal taping (top and bottom) has the same brown craft tape with fiber lines running through it. It does not appear to have been re-taped.

If that box came TAPED like that from Whirlpool, then THEY are the ones that did not properly package the ice maker inside to keep it secure. Unless, it was a return back to Whirlpool and then they slapped in a box and sent it to ApplicancePartsPros for resale. I don't suppose AppliancePartsPros boxes the product up....or do they?

So I'm a bit lost now as to what should be done as the ice maker does seem to keep plunking out ice.

But I am still disappointed in the packaging. I just don't know who I should be disappointed with.

Thanks for all your help and guidance

Attachments

• IMG_20210717_230618_Smaller.jpg
    IMG_20210717_230618_Smaller.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20210717_231206_Smaller.jpg
    IMG_20210717_231206_Smaller.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 25

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Whirlpool boxes it up, then sends it to AppliancePartsPros. Then AppliancePartsPros puts it in their own box and sends it to you.

If you want to contact them and tell them it came loose in the box, then you can do that. They will send you another new one, and then have you send that original one back to them within 30 days.

Jake

WayneInTexas

Premium Member
Interesting. There was only one box, the one in the photo and the attached packing slip was from AppliancePartsPros.

Inside the box the ice maker did not "come loose", it was never attached to anything to not "be loose".

I'll get with them tomorrow morning.

Thanks

Fishslaps

Premium Member
I have the same issue and just ordered the replacement part.

what are the steps to get the old icemaker out and install the new one?
thanks in advance!

Last edited:

WayneInTexas

Premium Member
On mine was pretty easy. Ice maker is in the door, not the freezer. Remove the Ice Bucket and flip the switch to Off.

Remove the 4 screws in the back holding the plastic outer shield plastic. Remove the shield unplugging the left Molex plug (on/off) line. The larger outside shield may take a little fiddling to remove it,, just don't force it. Make sure there is no ice buildup down in the bottom groove as that will keep it from letting loose.

Once the outer shield is removed, unplug the Molex plug on the right that powers the ice maker.

Remove the 2 screws under the ice maker. The ice maker has two unseen plastic hooks that hold it to the door. You will see them on your replacement unit. Using your palm, kind of bump the unit straight up to clear those clips.

Installation of new one is a reverse of those steps, but be sure to get the hooks in the right slots on the door.

Hint, since the freezer door may be open more than a couple minutes, take some cardboard and cut to the size of the opening and tape it to the outer opening using something like duct tape or gorilla tape so things don't start thawing out.

WayneInTexas

Premium Member
Spoke with AppliancePartsPros this morning and they were super responsive.

I do wish I had called them before I installed the unit and taken pictures of the unit loose in the box, but in this day and time I just took it in stride that nobody would really care how it arrived.

I was wrong. AppliancePartsPros ordered a replacement to be sent out today. I am super impressed by their concern and the actions that they have taken. Kudos to them and they will be my 'go-to' supplier should I need anything else in the future.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Wayne, glad to hear that.(y)

Jake

WayneInTexas

Premium Member
Got the replacement ice maker and will be installing it tomorrow.....some things on my plate for today, but wanted to update the post.

This unit was packaged much better and insulated for rough handling with bubble wrap. Not taped to an inside cardboard panel like the one in Jake's photo, but protected in a way that should have kept it from damage during shipping.

See attached pics

Thanks Jake

Attachments

• IMG_20210723_154712_Smaller.jpg
    IMG_20210723_154712_Smaller.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20210723_154732_Smaller.jpg
    IMG_20210723_154732_Smaller.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 19
Status
Not open for further replies.