• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Refrigerator WRT311FZBM00 short cycling

chiefgeek

Premium Member
Model Number
WRT311FZBM00
Brand
Whirlpool
My fridge temps are around 46 F and freezer is cold( not sure exact temps)

I noticed the compressor and fans would come on and run for about a minute and then turn off for a few minutes and repeat.

I checked the defrost heater and it measure 35 ohms

I checked the heater thermostat and I measured continuity while cold.

chiefgeek

Premium Member
After taking the panel in back of freezer out it is not short cycling but it still wont get the fridge cool.

I put thermometer in freezer and it got down to 28 in a few minutes but fridge is never going below 46.

Underside coil/condenser thing is really clean, I blew it out with compressed air just in case before taking freezer panel off and didn't help the short cycle.

I noticed the fridge temp control was on the coldest setting and recall having cooling problems in the past.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
After taking the panel in back of freezer out it is not short cycling but it still wont get the fridge cool.
Did the entire evaporator coil have a thin layer of frost on it?

It only does NOT short cycle with that evaporator cover panel off?

Jake

chiefgeek

Premium Member
I think it is less likely to short cycle while the back panel is off.
I put panel back on and let it run for a while and it runs for at least a few minutes, enogugh to get freezer to -15 or lower but fridge is still warm. I pulled back panel and there is white frost on it 3/4 the way up if not all the way up.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I pulled back panel and there is white frost on it 3/4 the way up if not all the way up.
Thick or a thin layer of frost on those coils?

Look at the very bottom photo below where it says NORMAL FROST PATTERN.

Frost Patterns.jpg

Is the fan in the freezer running at all times while the compressor is running or are both shutting down in what your calling short cycling? That evaporator fan motor sends the cold freezer air to the refrigerator section.

Here's the evaporator fan motor for your model:
WP2315539 Motor-Evap

For others following your thread--->This video shows you how to access it and it also shows you how to remove the back panel inside the freezer to check the frost pattern on your evaporator coil.

If both are shutting down, then its either the temperature control thermostat or defrost board.

Here's the temperature control thermostat for your model:
whirlpool-thermostat-wpw10584888-ap6023206_01_m.jpg

Here's the defrost board for your model:
Control Board WPW10352689

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.