• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Refrigerator WRT311FZDW00 Ice Maker isn't filling with water

Plainsman

Premium Member
Model Number
WRT311FZDW00
Brand
Whirlpool
Ice maker isn't filling with water. Installed new water valve, but no change. Installed new ice maker, no change. When I check the inlet pipe and the ice maker, it seems as though the water inlet pipe is right against the plastic piece in the ice maker that diverts the water down into the icemaker cube area. This worked well before, I'm not sure what might be the issue. It just ran (you could hear the solenoid go and water flow, but it seems as though the water was sprayed on the back of the freezer. I found the water inlet frozen yesterday. I shut the water off to the ice maker to continue troubleshooting today.

Thanks in advance,

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
This is a very basic model, it doesn't come with a factory installed ice maker, so you must of bought the ice maker as a addon?

Here's the parts diagram for your model:

Your model takes this ice maker kit:
Ice Maker Assembly WPW10715709

Remove the ice maker and check the fill cup on the ice maker, where the water inlet tube comes into the ice maker from the back, if that fill cup has a semi ice clog in it, it will spray water coming into it.

Jake

Plainsman

Premium Member
Correct, it is the add-on for a basic fridge, there is not an ice clog in the fill cup. Should the fill tube butt directly against the "back wall" of the fill cup? What is the correct temperature for a freezer, I'm wondering if it's too cold. Funny part of this is the ice maker worked great until a few months ago, when the fill tube froze, didn't realize it until some water started showing up in the fridge section.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Should the fill tube butt directly against the "back wall" of the fill cup?
Yes, or very close to it.

What is the correct temperature for a freezer, I'm wondering if it's too cold.
Normal freezer temp is 0 to 5 degrees F.

It sounds like possibly a water valve issue. It's common over time the water valve diaphragm wears out and a small amount of water gets past and drips into the fill tube, causing ice blockage.

It may only be a drop or two every minute or so and may not actually drip into the ice maker but that's enough to cause a problem.

It freezes in the end of the fill tube and starts to build up so when the ice maker goes into the harvest and fill cycle, it's like putting your thumb over the end of a water hose and water sprays everywhere.

Jake

Plainsman

Premium Member
Well dang, the fill valve is new, as is the ice maker at this point. Suppose I got a "new" fill valve that is bad? Argh.......

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Suppose I got a "new" fill valve that is bad?
That's possible, what did the original part number say on that original water inlet valve?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
W104989995 doesn't pull up as good.

Take a photo of it please.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.:)

Jake

Plainsman

Premium Member
Hey..... installed the part just now, waited until the weekend in case it begins leaking into the freezer again. Had a question though, when I had a water heater installed in January, they installed an expansion tank that I did not have before. I have wondered if I had too much water pressure, and that water was perhaps leaking past the valve in the fridge (a dribble, just enough to freeze in the end of the ice maker tube) and that was causing the water to shoot out past the cut in the tube and leak into the freezer cavity.

I noticed now as I turned off the water to install the valve it took a looong time to bleed off the water pressure. I wonder, perhaps if the expansion tank is causing/holding too much pressure in the house water system to cause leakage past the control valve for the ice maker, the subsequent dribble of the leak freezes in the delivery spout, and causes this problem..... Thoughts? I will wait and see if this valve has the same effect. I did not open the line to the street very far, to decrease the line pressure of the incoming water.

Plainsman

Premium Member
Checked the inlet tube for the ice maker this morning, and it was frozen at the end again. What little water I allowed through last evening while testing froze...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hey..... installed the part just now, waited until the weekend in case it begins leaking into the freezer again. Had a question though, when I had a water heater installed in January, they installed an expansion tank that I did not have before. I have wondered if I had too much water pressure, and that water was perhaps leaking past the valve in the fridge (a dribble, just enough to freeze in the end of the ice maker tube) and that was causing the water to shoot out past the cut in the tube and leak into the freezer cavity.

I noticed now as I turned off the water to install the valve it took a looong time to bleed off the water pressure. I wonder, perhaps if the expansion tank is causing/holding too much pressure in the house water system to cause leakage past the control valve for the ice maker, the subsequent dribble of the leak freezes in the delivery spout, and causes this problem..... Thoughts? I will wait and see if this valve has the same effect. I did not open the line to the street very far, to decrease the line pressure of the incoming water.
That's a good question, but I don't know much about expansion tanks to answer that.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Checked the inlet tube for the ice maker this morning, and it was frozen at the end again. What little water I allowed through last evening while testing froze...
That's very odd, I don't know what could be causing it, maybe it is that expansion tank. Do you have a water pressure tester guage?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Pressure should be about 40 psi to 60 psi

Jake

Plainsman

Premium Member
Good morning... Hey, since that valve is working the same as my original, can I return it? Still trying to determine why this icemaker leaks into the freezer.
Thanks,

Doc

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Contact the place where you got it at and ask them if you can return it.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.