Whirlpool refrigerator WRT318FZDB01 not cooling

jewelsfaye

Premium Member
Model Number
WRT318FZDB01
Brand
Whirlpool
My Whirpool refrigerator/freezer model WRT318FZDB01 is not cooling. .. mostly just the freezer, but i can tell the temp is rising in the fridge part too.
In the freezer the dial in the back, i think that is supposed to control the temperature. i guess it was frosted over, because when it began to thaw it just fell right off.
I have never had a freezer like this, where i guess it relies a lot on the air flow in the back of freezer, and fridge. and i keep noticing, it can be pretty hard to not block those vents or what not. but as of now, they are not blocked at all. Last night it was making a loud noise, so we pulled the whole thing out, unplugged it, and i vacuumed the coils. i thought it was doing ok until i noticed my ice cream was still mushy. and the ice trays were not freezing. (we do not have an automatic ice maker)
i tried reading a few threads on this site but i am afraid to tinker with anything seeing how none of them matched my exact refrigerator.
i must add, this happened about 2-3 mths ago. we eventually took everything out of the freezer and fridge. (the whole thing was not cooling) and defrosted it completely, and i cleaned the coils the best i could with what i had available. that seemed to work great, until now. so could it be a defrosting problem? also the fan next to the coils is working. im not sure what the compressor is, or where its at, but that semi large metal round thing next to the fan is hot. and i heard absolutely nothing going on in the freezer. sorry, last thing i have to say, the entire time we have had this fridge the refrigerator part of it freezes everything unless its in the door or down in the drawers. my husband likes that about it, but i know that this is happening for a reason and it is not supposed to. could this all be related? and how can i fix it, myself?
thank you so much
jewels

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Rick may have missed your last reply.

Here's the parts diagram for your model:

So do you notice frost build-up on the back panel inside the freezer? Have you already remove the back panel inside the freezer?

Here's the evaporator thermistor for your model:
WPW10384183 Thermistor

I asked our tech bigbuck if he could please post your tech data sheet, then we can see what it should ohm test at.

Here's the video to show you where its located:

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes jewels, keep posting here so Rick and I can help you.

So do you notice frost build-up on the back panel inside the freezer? Have you already remove the back panel inside the freezer TO SEE the frost build up?

Look at these photos below, which one does yours look like when you have frost build up on them?

Frost Patterns.jpg