• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Refrigerator WRT318FZDM02 - Freezing In Fridge

personalt

Premium Member
Model Number
WRT318FZDM02
Brand
Whirlpool
See picture. I have a little freezing on the upper left of coils but most is on right after expansion. Issue is fridge hits around 31 degrees and freezes. Freezer is below 32 but not sure exactly how cold it got This seems to have symptoms of a seal-system / charge issue. Full disclaimer recently had a tenant turnover and everything was empty for a while. Steps taken - I cleared off the ice and put the diverter to max to push cooling into freezer and set controls to a lower setting.

Anything else I should consider before thinking it is low on charge?

20220616_175134.jpg

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Anything else I should consider before thinking it is low on charge?

Might want to have someone come in and test the refrigeration system.

I have a little freezing on the upper left of coils but most is on right after expansion

Possible leaker, restriction, inefficient compressor or any combination of these.

jeff sr.

personalt

Premium Member
Getting a Whirlpool certified tech in would be the next step but my goal is to bring them in only to deal with the refrigeration system as a warranty claim.
I am a landlord with 15 apartments and over 20 years have done a lot of appliance repair. My father in law is also an HVAC tech. But this should still be under warranty for the sealed system so my goal is just to really
eliminate anything else.

Its possible my leaving tenant froze things up by leaving the unit open or overstuffing the freezer. just wondering what else I should check before assuming refrigerant.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Its possible my leaving tenant froze things up by leaving the unit open or overstuffing the freezer.

Not really.
Open will certainly warm things up but after the door is closed the unit should go back to temp.
Over filling is better than under filling. When full(er) the mass of food will hold the cold. Less food and the freezer will warm up faster and the unit will have to come back on more often.

just wondering what else I should check before assuming refrigerant.

Shut the unit off, let that splotch of ice/frost melt and then run the refrigerator again for 1 hour. Recheck that frost/ice pattern. If the same and the refrigeration system will have to be checked.

jeff sr.

personalt

Premium Member
just a little update. They did replace the coils and recharge system. Week later it froze again, they came out and said they overcharged it due to a defective gauge. Sounds like they added it too fast. But they did add a note that if this didnt fix it next step was a compressor.