• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Refrigerator WRT318FZDW00 Refrigerator is freezing everything inside, freezer is ok

RHod

Premium Member
Model Number
WRT318
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello,
Can someone help me with my fridge? It is freezing everything inside, even at the lowest setting. The freezer is working but could be colder. I adjusted the temp in the fridge and now everything inside the fridge is freezing. I adjusted the temp back down to the lowest setting but everything is still freezing. The temperature in the fridge gets to about 28 degrees and no higher. Could it be the electronic control unit? How would I know?
Thank you in advance for your help.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

The freezer is working but could be colder.

What is the temp in the freezer?
Expose the evaporator coil in the freezer and take note or take a picture and post here of the frost pattern on the coils.
The refrigerator is not in an unheated garage is it?

jeff.

RHod

Premium Member
P1090501.jpgP1090502.jpg
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for replying to my post. Since I posted this I unplugged the unit and removed the lower panel. I cleaned the set of coils near the compressor. They didn't have too much dust on them. The temp in the fridge is now staying at 38 degrees and the freezer is 28 degrees. I changed the setting on both and set them to the recommended settings. I couldn't get to the coils in the freezer. The back panel is solid. Do I get to them from inside the freezer? I took a picture of the inside of the freezer if this helps.

bigbuck

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Take that freezer panel off and look at the evaporator frost pattern and post a picture of that.

Attachments

• Evaporator Frost Patterns.png
    Evaporator Frost Patterns.png
    966.1 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:

Chicago

I'm having the same issue with a similar model WRT318FZDB01. The issues are intermittent. Did you come to a conclusion of what may be going on?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi all,

There is a service pointer on this problem.

Look here: https://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/threads/61733-Maytag-MRT519SZDH00-freezer-too-cold-refrigator-too-warm

Then look on page 2 post 15: https://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/threads/61733-Maytag-MRT519SZDH00-freezer-too-cold-refrigator-too-warm/page2 That's where I posted the service pointer.

If the control board has no marking --or is marked with an “R”-- replace the control board (Figure 1). The replacement Control Board has new software and is identified by a “W” marking (Figure 2).

Part#W10884375 crosses over to Part#W11211884

This is the Whirlpool Service Kit you POSSIBLY both will need: W11211884 Contrl-Box

Jake

RHod

Premium Member
Hi, Thanks for your reply. Before Christmas I talked with a repairman in my area. This is a common problem with this model. Based on what he told me, it's not worth the cost of repairing. We now have a new Frigidaire that is nicer and costs less money than the Whirlpool I had. Hopefully it will run for a long time. Thank you for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
This is a common problem with this model.
That's why I posted the service pointer.:)

Its much less expensive than a new refrigerator, in fact if you call Whirlpool on it, they would likely not charge you a dime to replace that Control Box.:)

Jake