• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Refrigerator WRT5L1SMYB00 not cooling at all

cwilly8

Premium Member
Model Number
WRT5L1SMYB00
Brand
Whirlpool
11 year old top freezer fridge (not our primary). We got home from an extended trip and found that it had completely stopped cooling -- fridge was 58F and freezer was 45F.
Compressor does not run. Fans are not running. Lights in fridge and freezer are working.
So far I have unplugged for 40 minutes and replugged. No change. Tried "3 presses on the door light switch." No change.
There are no lights on the control panel in the fridge compartment. This makes me think it might be the main control board. But I'm reluctant to risk $250 or more without some definite indication.
What else can I try? I have basic mechanical and electrical skills, and a multimeter.
Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below. It shows the schematic of the Hercules Control Board and Opal UI Board, one thing it does not show is how many volts the Hercules Control Board SHOULD be sending to the Opal UI Board for it to power up.

CN1 on the Hercules Control Board is where the main 120 volts comes into that board, CN1 Pin 1(white wire) and Pin 4(black wire).

Here's the Hercules Control Board for your model:
whirlpool-control-elek-hercules-wpw10392194-ap6020802_01_m.jpg

Here's the Opal UI Board for your model:
Electronic Control Board WPW10336519

Jake

Attachments

• serviceandwiringsheet-w10536508-reva.pdf
    391 KB · Views: 67

cwilly8

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake. There is 120v into the Hercules board. The DC voltages on the Opal UI board seemed to be variable -- from pins 1 to 4 was 2.5v and from pins 1 to 6 was 5v, but the voltages seemed to be everywhere from 0 to those values (quite possibly due to my test lead shakiness). None of the LEDs on the Opal board were functional, and pressing SW1 and SW2 for 3 seconds didn't produce anything.

Does any of that point to the problem component?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That I don't know, like I said the tech. data sheet does not tell us what the voltage should be to the Opal board.

I had one do this in Quartzsite, Arizona and it was the Hercules Control Board that was the culprit.

Jake

cwilly8

Premium Member
Thanks again, Jake. The Hercules board runs about $250 or more, so with this being an 11 year old appliance I think I'll wait to find a similar new refrigerator on sale -- this was our "overflow" fridge in the basement, and we can get by without it for a while.

Craig

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Craig, sounds good.:)

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.