• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Refrigerator WRV986FDEM00 Both Ice makers stopped making ice

KDKELLI

Premium Member
Model Number
WRV986FDEM00
Brand
Whirlpool
I have purchased a replacement valve for the interior of the unit. I am still getting water to the door. The water filter was only a couple of months old, but I replaced it just to be sure. I wanted to know if anyone else has ever encountered this issue and what they did to resolve it. I hear the icemaker turning like it making ice, but I never hear the swoosh of the water going to it like I used to. I am not sure if it a valve issue or a frozen line issue. Tonight will be the first time that I will be trying to take everything apart.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Since you get water at the dispenser the isolation valve behind the machine is ok. Force cycle the ice maker and measure the voltage at the dual water valve. If the voltage is correct replace the valve.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rick is absolutely correct.

Here's the primary(isolation) water inlet valve for your model:
Water Inlet Valve W10865826

You can also do the water fill test 45, which is located in your tech. data that I'm attaching below.:)

Check for 120 volts at the RED solenoid on the secondary water inlet valve, in that water fill test 45, make sure water is flowing through that one too.

Here's the secondary water inlet valve for your model:
Water Inlet Valve WPW10341329

Watch this video that shows you where its at:

Jake

Attachments

• W10738568-RevB.pdf
    837.3 KB · Views: 47

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, let us know how it goes.

Jake

KDKELLI

Premium Member
Well so far that did not work. I noticed there is a low scraping/grinding noise that seems to be coming from behind the fridge. I suspect it is the recirc fan possibly. Do you think this could possibly cause the icemaker issue?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
there is a low scraping/grinding noise that seems to be coming from behind the fridge. I suspect it is the recirc fan possibly. Do you think this could possibly cause the icemaker issue?
Yes I do.

Here's the parts diagram:
#22 is the condenser fan motor
#2 is the condenser fan blade

Pull the refrigerator out from the wall, then remove the lower back access panel and get a flashlight or droplight and see if something is hitting the condenser fan blade, make its running good and fast too.

Jake

KDKELLI

Premium Member
Okay the condenser and fan seem fine. The grumbling is coming from the back of the fridge more in the upper middle of the fridge. Approximately where the evaporator is. Can an evaporator grumble? Would an evaporator cause icemaker issues?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Would an evaporator cause icemaker issues?
If the refrigerator had a refrigerant leak or restriction in the system the evaporator could make a gurgling sound. That would affect the cooling and loss of cooling will affect the ice maker. Leave the machine plugged in and running and remove the evaporator cover. Check the frost pattern on the evaporator coils. There should be frost on all the coils top to bottom and side to side. Take a pic and post it here.