• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool Refrigerator WRV986FDEM01 clunking sound when getting water followed by waterfall out the ice maker

Status
Not open for further replies.

setemupknockem

Premium Member
Model Number
WRV986FDEM01
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello I purchased a home that has a Whirlpool WRV986FDEM01 refrigerator. The fridge NEVER had the water lined hook up since purchase ~18 months ago (previous older told us it was never hooked up, there was no water line ran at all). I ran a stainless braided supply line that is hooked up to a shutoff valve going from 1/2" to 1/4" to the supply line.

After getting the line in I went to flush the water system as instructed in the manual and I'm getting a clunking/knocking sound followed by a water pouring out of the ice maker. You can see the video of noise and resulting water leak here

• It does appear make ice in the top ice maker with no issues as it made 2 batches. I have shutoff the water supply though worried about leaks for now (have not tested bottom on in freezer, this model has 2 makers)
  • I have taken out and inspected the water filter for cracks and o-rings and have made sure it is properly in multiple times.
  • Is too much water pressure or water hammering could cause any of this?
  • Debated on getting copper line instead of braided but don't see how this would make a difference.
Thank you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Another member had this same issue:
Hey Guys, I just waned to express my great appreciation to you for your assistance and for this forum in general.

Unplugging the deli control board didn't solve the problem, but I found a solution in a different thread that Jake had replied to. It turned out to be the water inlet valve in the ceiling of the fridge. The valve for the icemaker was stuck open, so that's why whenever I engaged the door water dispenser, water flowed out of the icemaker too. Both the icemaker and door water dispenser worked all along.

I ordered the part, swapped it out and my fridge is good to go!

Thanks again.

Here's the part in number and fix video in case anyone needs it!

Water Inlet Valve WPW10341329

Your model uses the exact same water inlet valve. So I'd replace it and that should fix it.:)

Water Inlet Valve WPW10341329

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that new water inlet valve should fix it.:)

Keep us posted.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the new water inlet valve fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.