• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool Refrigerator WRV986FDEM01 Freezer section not working

g1k

Premium Member
Model Number
WRV986FDEM01
Brand
Whirlpool
Whirlpool model WRV986FDEM01
Age - less than 5 years, confirming purchase date this evening. House purchased in December 2020, Fridge was installed by previous owner prior to sale.

Here are the symptoms
Several days ago the indoor ice maker was not making ice. At this time the lower ice maker was working. I also noticed a louder than normal noise from the compressor (assumed, noise was coming from fridge and sounded like the back of the machine) - sort of a whistling or warbling. Different enough of a noise that I mentally noted it.

Friday night I emptied the ice in the FC to a cooler. Sunday (last night) I went for more ice and noticed there was no ice, a few small puddles in the ice bin and the food in the freezer compartment had thawed.

After removing the back panel inside the FC I noticed an ice block hanging on the copper tube to evap junction (there is thick grey tape at this junction). Frost from that junction, around the bend in the tube to the fist fin. No other frost evident on remainder of evap.

I put the machine into service diagnostic mode and Ran service tests:
1 - passed
2 - passed
3 - passed (will repeat this evening)
4 - passed - all steps seemed to do what they needed to do.
5 - passed, noted compressor was hot. I'll use an IR gun tonight for actual temp

All food has been removed, so the machine is plugged in and empty as of 12:30am. RC seems to be functioning, was cold this morning at 7am. I left two thawed icepacks overnight, still thawed at 7 this morning so the FC stil lis not functioning.

I noticed the evap fan in the FC was not blowing after reassembling everything last night. It was blowing when performing tests 3 and 4.

What steps should I take next to diagnose the issue. I'm leaning towards a sealed system problem and a call to whirlpool.

Thank you for any assistance
Ryan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
After removing the back panel inside the FC I noticed an ice block hanging on the copper tube to evap junction (there is thick grey tape at this junction). Frost from that junction, around the bend in the tube to the fist fin. No other frost evident on remainder of evap.
What steps should I take next to diagnose the issue. I'm leaning towards a sealed system problem and a call to whirlpool.
You are exactly right, you have a sealed system problem, Contact Whirlpool at 1-866-698-2538 to have a tech. come out and fix it under warranty.

Jake

g1k

Premium Member
thank you Jake.

Update - called Whirlpool, Set up with service appt for August 19. 1 year warranty has expired but 5 year sealed system warranty still in effect.

I called the company providing the service call. $90 for the house call, if sealed system is cause of problem, parts and labor will be covered. They also put me on a cancellation list so the service might be sooner than Aug 19.

Sounds to me like a $90 service call is better than several thousand for a new fridge.

I'll report back when I have more information.

Thanks,
Ryan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Ryan, sounds good, yes keep us posted.:)

Jake

g1k

Premium Member
Update - Appliance repair company came out a day earlier than expected. His diagnosis was likely a sealed system leak. Dye has been added, system recharged. Once the system works for a while to allow the dye to flow and highlight the leak the service tech will be back to replace the necessary components. I should have the final diagnosis and repair completed on September 9.

But for now the unit is working again - although I'm not sure for how long. It's relegated to the "drink" fridge until the final repair is complete.

Ryan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Ryan for the update!

Let us know how it goes after the final repair is complete.

Jake

g1k

Premium Member
Final (hopefully) repair completed. UV inspection showed the dye leaking from the refrigerator compartment evaporator. It was replaced, system recharged and so far so good.

The compressor is still making a cavitating noise, although quieter than when the leak was present.

All parts and labor covered under warranty with exception of ~$100 initial visit and diagnosis.

Ryan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Ryan, glad to hear that.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake