• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Refrigerator WRV986FDEM01 ice/water/interior lights

Jay Nicholas

Premium Member
Model Number
WRV986FDEM01
Brand
Whirlpool
I, too, am having issues with the dispenser and interior lights. I've read all the threads but still have questions.
So, I unplugged the fridge and disconnected the ui board on the top of the left drawer, Everything functions (except the display, of course) . I assumed UI board was bad, ordered new one , installed it...same issue. Unplugged the UI board, everything works again except no water dispenses, Ice does but not water. Unplug refrigerator wait awhile plug back in water working now as well as ice and lights. Harness appears ok but I' baffled. In the past year, I have had to unplug the refrigerator 3 different times to reset it, The last time was 7-8 months ago

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

Jay Nicholas

Premium Member
I think you are probably right. What happens if I leave the UI board disconnected? will it lead to further issues? Also..what is the best way to diagnose the main board to be sure? I already spent over $250 I saw a post somewhere that described the testing with a meter, can I test it with the UI board unplugged? Thank you for the help,sir

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Check the voltage output from the power board. I'll post the pinouts below. What do you want to test? The control board controls all the loads. The dispenser water valve is a load and the easiest to diagnose. Voltage for the isolation valve comes from the board. When you reset the machine the water dispenser works. That tells you the isolation valve is OK so when it's not working, it's not getting the voltage from the board. You can test all the loads but regardless the results, the board is still bad.
1633827153360.png

Power board voltage

● P1-1 to P1-2 = 115 VAC
● P1-3 to P1-4 = 115 VAC
● P2-1 to P2-5 = 12.7VDC
● P2-2 to P2-6 = 12.7VDC
● P2-3 to P2-7 = 12.7VDC
● P2-4 to P2-8 = 12.7VDC

Jay Nicholas

Premium Member
Hello Rick,
I discovered that the wiring harness is bad. Found blue, blue/black and black wire completely broken inside the harness sheth. I going to order the harness then if need be do the voltage testing.
Thank you for your reply and willingness to help. I'll let you know how I make out.
Thanks again