• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Refrigerator WRV986FDEM01 Not Cooling

DonCallahan

Premium Member
Model Number
WRV986FDEM01
Brand
Whirlpool
I'm getting desperate... My Whirlpool WRV986FDEM01 is running but is not cooling (freezer and fridge).

I unplugged the fridge for three hours -- same issue. I unplugged the fridge overnight -- same issue. I called Angie's List and they sent two different "handymen" out and neither could figure out the problem. Both cleaned the fridge (inside and underneath) and said the fan and condenser (?) are working. On my own, I went through the diagnostics and didn't see anything that stuck out to me as a problem but I'm no expert.

I'm not super handy, but I'm usually able to troubleshoot and fix things around the house. However, I don't even know where to begin to diagnose this issue. Meanwhile, not having a fridge with a family of four is horrible.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So its not getting cold at all in either section? Do you hear the fans and compressor running?

Pull your refrigerator out from the wall, then remove the lower back access panel and put your hand on the compressor(big black ball shaped part) and it should be warm and vibrating. Make sure your condenser fan that sits next to it is running as well.

Here's your parts diagram:
#26 is the compressor
#22 is the condenser fan motor, next to the compressor.

Jake

DonCallahan

Premium Member
I really appreciate your reply.

Neither section is getting cold at all.

As you instructed, I pulled the fridge out and took the plate off. The compressor is warm and vibrating and the fan is running.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, that indicates you have a sealed system problem.

Check your owners manual warranty, most models have a 5 year limited warranty on the sealed system components.

If so, you can contact Whirlpool at 1-866-698-2538 and have a tech come out to fix it for you.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help!

Jake

DonCallahan

Premium Member
I talked to Whirlpool. They came to the same conclusion and are sending someone out. Fortunately, I'm still within the five-year window -- by two months (my five years is up in October).

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Don!

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.