• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Refrigerator WRV986FDEM01 - PO error, replaced Aurora and Main Board, no luck

ronin469

Premium Member
Model Number
WRV986FDEM01
Brand
Whirlpool
Issue began with refrigerator rebooting with PO (power outage) notice on the dispenser. Confirm restart and the unit will run for anywhere between 5-20 minutes before resetting again.

I checked the Deli Drawer UI board by unplugging it and resting the fridge. The same PO issue occurred. Since the PO issue happened when the drawer board was out, I assume I can rule out the drawer harness as a potential cause, too, since the PO issue happens even when there's no current on the harness - am I correct in that assumption?

I have tested the voltages at the Power Supply Board and am reading high AC current on connector P1. The tech sheet says P1-1to1-2 and P1-3to1-4 should be constant 115VAC, but my board is reading constant 120.6 at each junction. The DC voltages on all P2 pin combinations listed on the tech sheet were all correct at 12.7VDC - HOWEVER, I couldn't detect any current on P2-4to2-8, the tech sheet says this should also be 12.7VDC, but my pin 8 is open (no wire) and the meter reads 0VDC o between the 4&8 pins.

With the Power Board sending too much voltage, the Main Board connector P1 is also registering high. According to the tech sheet, P1-1to1-2 and P1-3to1-4 should also be constant 115VAC, but these are both constant 121VAC.

All other voltages on other boards seem to check out, including the Aurora Board, and the Deli Board.

I happen to have a spare Main Board, so I popped it in - this seemed to fix the PO issue, but for some reason this board shows the "Door Ajar" light constant on, and the alarm sounds, even after confirming everything is shut. Interior lights and water/ice also don't work... If I unplug the Deli Board again with this Main Board, it has no effect - door ajar, no lights/dispenser.

I thought the spare Main Board would fix it, but it seems to trade the PO issue for the door ajar/no lights issue that there's tons of posts on here, already, about. Power Board seems suspect with the high voltages, and I have STILL NOT put in a new one, yet. Other than that, I'm stuck on what to try next.

I've attached the tech sheet I pulled the voltages from.

Attachments

• WRV986FDEM00 Tech Sheet - W10738568 - Rev B.pdf
    835.2 KB · Views: 40

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The power board voltages are a little high, but that are still good and not that far off to worry about.

The problem is the control board. You will need a NEW control board, as you that spare one fixed it but caused the new issue.

Here's the NEW control board for your model:
Refrigerator Control Board WPW10675033

Unfortunately, they are currently out of stock everywhere.

Jake

ronin469

Premium Member
Thanks Jake.

So if the original control board is causing the PO issue - and my spare board is causing the door ajar/no lights issue - I'm not sure which problem is better to have.

If I'm understanding your answer correctly, you are saying both of the boards I have seem to be problematic - so both are off and I should pursue a completely NEW board. Is that right?

If they are out of stock everywhere, you think a Whirlpool tech would have access to one if I called them out?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

ronin469

Premium Member
Many thanks, Jake! On the hunt for a new board, or I'll call Whirlpool and try my luck. Thanks for your help!

Best regards,
Bob

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Bob, sounds good.

Jake