• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Refrigerator WRV986FDEM01 PO warning and not cooling properly

pablo1669

Premium Member
Model Number
WRV986FDEM01
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello,

I have the whirlpool WRV986FDEM01 fridge and I keep getting the PO warning beeps and I checked the internal temp to be about 22 degrees. I started reading some of the related posts and figured I'd investigate my freezer coils based on some of the findings.

I got my back panel off and found this attached photo.

I saw some related photos here:

The problem in the link was fixed by getting a new bi-metal but do you think that might help me?

Or, is there a chance this could be related to the issue I was having below as well?

Attachments

• 20220705_113535.jpg
    20220705_113535.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 23

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That indicates a sealed system problem, look at these photos below.

Frost Patterns.jpg

pablo1669

Premium Member
That was what I was thinking as well. I found the same photo in one of the links I copied while searching.

Is this something I can repair? Does something need to be recaulked or did maybe my condenser/lines went bad?

I got it all cleaned up for now and it's below freezing again, but my ice maker isn't doing anything.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is this something I can repair? Does something need to be recaulked or did maybe my condenser/lines went bad?
No, sealed system repairs are not a repair a normal consumer can do. Doing sealed system work is very unique craft that you need to be trained in with lots of hands on experience.

Doing sealed system work requires you to have a turbo torch, acetylene for the torch, knowledge of how to use and weld with a turbo torch, also having a vacuum pump, and the proper amount of R-134a to use, changing the Filter Drier as well, solder, flux, silfloss, sandpaper, etc.

You need to be a certified Type 1 40 CFR part 82, subpart F. AHAM-NARDA Refrigerant Tech. to change Compressors or do any sealed system work involving Freon(Refrigerant Gas). I got certified on 11-17-1994 when i worked for Montgomery Ward Service Dept.

I got it all cleaned up for now and it's below freezing again, but my ice maker isn't doing anything.
It needs to be at about 0 degrees F and no higher than 10 degrees F at all times, to make the ice maker work automatically.

Jake

pablo1669

Premium Member
Dang, this sounds like it may be an expensive repair! Stupid thing is only 5 years old.

Thanks for the help! Sounds like I'll just stick to the automotive world for now!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, unfortunately it is a expensive repair.

Thanks for the help! Sounds like I'll just stick to the automotive world for now!
Glad to help!

Jake