• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool Refrigerator WRV986FDEM01 Possible damper issue

dohcsvt

Premium Member
Model Number
WRV986FDEM01
Brand
Whirlpool
Background info;
My refrigerator (Whirlpool WRV986FDEM01) that I bought in 2017 started running at about 52 degrees in the refrigerator compartment. I disassembled and found the RC evaporator coils froze up. I thawed them out and thought it was a hiccup. However, the same thing started happening a couple weeks later. Did a bunch of Googling and troubleshooting and determined the main board to be bad. Replaced the main board and all seems well. Except that now I notice the the RC fan is running constantly. I went through the diagnostics and both RC and FC fans turn on and off as they should, but the damper assembly apparently does not seem to be working as during diagnostic test #3 the air flow in the RC compartment never ceases. I reinstalled the bad card for testing purposes with the same results. From this, I have 2 questions.

1. Is the RC fan supposed to constantly if the damper assembly is good and the damper just redirects the air flow?

2. Is this the correct part # for the damper W11164593 ?

I appreciate any help that you guys can provide and I intend to replace the damper. But if somebody feels that I have misdiagnosed, please let me know. Have a great day!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The refrigerator AIR DAMPER ASSEMBLY for your model is WPW10248595

I don't know if the RC fan motor is suppose to run all the time, it does not mention that in the manual, I believe its only suppose to run when needed.

What seems to be the problem now? Is it getting too cold in the refrigerator section now and freezing items in there?

Did the new control board fix the auto defrost problem on your refrigerator evaporator coil?

Jake

dohcsvt

Premium Member
Really no problem now, other than I can be really particular about things, especially when I notice that something is not right. Temperature seems to be fine and the new control board appears to have fixed the defrost problem.Tonight I opened it to get a drink and found the the RC fan not running for the first time since I started paying attention. But the diagnostics still shows a bad damper. I will order and replace it.
Thank you for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The AIR DAMPER test is a little confusing.

Service Test - 3 Evaporator Fan Motor and Air Baffle Motor
--->Control the RC & FC Evaporator Fan Mtrs. by depressing SW3 (01 = Both Fan Mtr. OFF, 02 = FC Fan ON).
• Depress SW3 once to advance. Step 3 will flash quickly and advance to steps 13/23 very quickly.
The result is RC Fan ON, Pantry Air Damper ON. Pantry Air Damper will open and close automatically.
(13 = Damper Open, 23 = Damper Closed. Verify air flow inside pantry on left-hand side when damper is open, 912 displayed). Air flow in pantry will cease when 23 is displayed.
• Depress SW3 to advance to last step. (04 = Both RC & FC fans on).

Air flow in pantry will cease when 23 is displayed.<---Did AIR FLOW stop when 23 was displayed?

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below.

Jake

Attachments

• tech-sheet-W10849496-RevA.pdf
    589.9 KB · Views: 56

dohcsvt

Premium Member
Thank you. I had the sheet from under the hinge cover. The airflow never changed between 13 and 23. I was also confused by the “912 displayed” portion of the step, but assumed it was an error in the write up.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Got it!

Ok, let us know if the new air damper assembly fixes it.:)

Jake

dohcsvt

Premium Member
Yes, this fixed the problem. All is well. Not that anything really wasn’t well, just not completely up to par. Again, thanks for your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the new air damper assembly fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake