• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool Refrigerator WRV996FDEM00 Ice Maker Motor not moving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daverobin

Premium Member
Model Number
WRV996FDEM00
Brand
Whirlpool
My ice maker stopped making ice. I checked the error codes under test 56 and it showed an E2 error. Based on information from threads on this site, I replaced the ice maker. (Thanks for the excellent panel removal tips}. With the new ice maker installed I have no error codes but test 57 and 59 both failed with digit 1 = 0 and digit 2 = 2. Is there anything else that would cause the motor not to home? All the connections look fine and no wires are pulled. Im not sure where to go from here any help would be greatly appreciated.

Daverobin

Premium Member
Today the error code E2 is back in test 56. So starting from zero. Any thoughts anyone?
New info, I ran the Ice box fan and heard it spool up, all good. I also ran the ice box fill and water definetly ran into the ice box. 3 hours later I stuck my finger in the ice box and the water was still water, so it looks like it isnt freezing either. Just an FYI

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It MUST be 10 degrees or lower at all times for the ice maker to work properly and consistently.

If its not 10 degrees or lower in the ice maker compartment(aka ice box compartment), then I'd check the ice box fan motor to see if its running.

Here's the ice box fan motor for your model:
W10846539 Fan

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below.

DO--->Service Test - 36 Ice Box Fan
• Check for fan operation. Control Ice Box Fan using SW3. Display the status on Temp Display.
(01 = ON, 02 = OFF). Verify airflow from the IB fan.

Jake

Attachments

• W10738568-RevB.pdf
    837.3 KB · Views: 39

Daverobin

Premium Member
Thank you Jake for responding!

Test 36, I check the fan earlier and it turned on, I could feel and hear a breeze coming out of the vent. I checked it again today and it is still working. Also yesterday using Test 45, I was able to fill the icemaker, which did not ice up. This morning before fan test 36 again, I checked and there was ice, the water finally froze.

I tried Test 59, then 57 today with the end result of a codes 0,2, "not complete" on both tests. The error code on 56 is still E2. After test 57 the ice in the motor was loose.

Any other ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Put a freezer thermometer inside the ice maker compartment and tell us what it reads in 2 hours.

If you read 10 degrees or lower then your ice maker is defective.

Service Test - 56 Ice Maker Error Codes
--->Displays active Ice Maker Error Codes on the UI display. (E0 = No Errors, E1 = No Cooling, E2 = Motor Lost Position, E3 = Heater Timeout, E4 = Dry Cycle, E5 = Timed Ice Making).

This is the updated ice maker for your model: Icemaker W11577195

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good.

Jake

Daverobin

Premium Member
Sorry for the delay The thermometer read 10 degrees, so I ordered and received another ice maker. I removed everything to install it and found one of the internal connectors, the black one, was not seated. I clicked it together and reinstalled it and the motor error codes were gone. Under test 59 I was able to rotate the motor cw and ccw. I

I re-installed everything and setup quick cool and quick ice. The next morning I can feel ice in the maker but none in the bin. I tried test 57 and it failed. I ran test 59, cw and ccw passed. I ran test 58 for 5 minutes and it flashed 1 and 1. Ice still frozen hard. Can I assume the IM heater is bad? Also is it separate from the IM I just installed?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What does Service Test - 56 tell you now?

The ice maker heater comes with the new ice maker.

Where you get the ice maker from? My link to it above?

Jake

Daverobin

Premium Member
Will do and get back to you
Good morning Jake,

The first IM I bought was from the same place as the site you recommend, Appliance Part Pros. I bought it before I reached out to this forum, (I researched the part number on-line and they popped up). The 2nd IM I bought was from the link your sent me once we chatted.

Problem solved though, It seems the original IM had a bad motor, the 2nd IM had a bad heater. The 3rd IM had everything working. Thanks so much for sticking with me and making the repair easy. The tech sheet was very helpful as mine was missing from a prior warranty repair on the fridge. Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Dave for the update.(y)

Glad to hear the 3rd ice maker was all good, that's extremely unusual to get the first 2 ice makers bad.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.