• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Refrigerator WRX735SDBM00 not dumping/harvesting ICE

Fridge-Help123

Premium Member
Model Number
WRX735SDBM
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello. My ice maker on this model # stopped 'dumping' the ice. I ordered the replacement ice maker (Whirlpool OEM) and it was a new/different unit with a different harness. I attached the new harness and installed the new ice maker. Still experiencing same issue -- water freezes but unit does not dump ice. Any help further troubleshooting? Any chance this new unit is defective and can i validate that? Any help is appreciated!

Added complete model number

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
OK, remove the cover on the ice maker power module. Use your meter to check for 120 VAC across holes "L" and "N". You may need to hold the door switch closed.
IM voltage.jpg

If the voltage is correct see if you can force the ice maker into a harvest cycle. Locate holes "T" and "H". Take about a 4" piece of insulated wire and strip the ends back about 1". Bend the wire in the shape of a "U" and short holes T and H together.
IM jumper.jpg

IMPORTANT: Once the ejector rake starts to rotate remove the wire. Close the door and let the ice maker finish the harvest cycle. At the end of the harvest cycle the water valve should turn on for about 7 seconds.

Fridge-Help123

Premium Member
Ok. I got 123v and when I jumped it the teeth started to spin. Put tray in and shut door. Will see if they drop. Thanks again!

Fridge-Help123

Premium Member
Update: it didn't drop ice first time I jumped it. Tried again about 10 mins later. Kept jumper a few seconds longer. Removed and shut door. Dropped ice. Called for water. Think it'll be good to go? Any diagnosis from this? Thanks again!

rickgburton

Staff member
OK it appears your new ice maker is defective. The ice maker won't start a harvest cycle until the thermostat in the ice maker closes. The temperature is correct because it freezes the water and bypassing the thermostat (shorted T and H) the ice maker will start a harvest cycle. There's a problem with the ice maker thermostat. Return it for a replacement ice maker.

W10882923 Icemaker

Fridge-Help123

Premium Member
Hi again Rick. I called the parts store and they have to order me another replacement so I kept the ice maker in. UPDATE: Last night about 930p the ice randomly dumped. It then dumped another batch this morning about 6a. Do you know how frequent it should be dumping ice? Does this change your diagnosis? I really am appreciative of your help!

rickgburton

Staff member
It usually takes 3-6 hours for the first harvest cycle. Then it mostly depends on the temperature settings with 0°F being the optimal temp. I think the average harvest cycle is every 1.5 - 2 hours.

Fridge-Help123

Premium Member
Thank you sir. Will be on vacation for the next few days. Hopefully this is resolved. Can I PayPal you something for your help/time?

rickgburton

Staff member
Can I PayPal you something for your help/time?
Not necessary. Thank you. There's a donate button at the bottom of the page. That helps Jake with the site.(y)