• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Refrigerator WRX735SDHZ00 Water Dispenser and Ice maker stopped working

phireman3395

Premium Member
Model Number
WRX735SDHZ00
Brand
Whirlpool
Our whirlpool French door model WRX735SDHZ00 Water Dispenser and Ice maker suddenly stopped working after 2 years of flawless use.

I can still hear the solenoid activate for the water dispenser and the ice makers chute opens when the pads are depressed but the auger for the ice maker does not turn and water does not come out of the dispenser. I have tried running a hair dryer attempting to defrost the unit incase there is a frozen line and that has not worked. Occasionally the ice maker will attempt to fill and when it does, water leaks from the ice maker into the basket causing whatever ice is in there to freeze over and when this happens, I still cannot get water out of the water dispenser. When the water dispenser is depressed, the unit recognizes it as dispensing water thus showing a would be value for the volume dispensed.

I have replaced the filter, as well as the in fridge water inlet valve with OEM parts. I have also raised the fridge temperature to its max available setting as well as the freezers settings for good measure.

A repair man offered to replace the main board for around $600 with no guarantee of a fix; however, I am hopeful someone on here may have an alternative idea. Any recommendations are welcomed!

Thank you

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'd first make sure your water supply to the water inlet valve has plenty of water pressure. Watch the video below, it shows you how to get access to your water inlet valve.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model:
The GREEN solenoid goes to your water dispenser, also use a multimeter and see if you are getting 120 volts to GREEN solenoid when you press in the water dispenser lever, you will need to hold the door switch in.

For the ice maker leaking problem:
When you hear the ice maker cycle open the freezer door and watch it cycle(you may need to hold in the freezer door switch to watch it cycle) and when it fills with water see if water is dripping down, if so the ice maker is overfilling itself and a new ice maker would fix that.

Here's the ice maker for your model you can order, if needed:
WPW10300024 Icemaker

Jake

phireman3395

Premium Member
Thanks Jake,
Initially, I replaced that exact inlet valve and actually followed that video when doing so via YouTube.

it seemed to work for the day then wound up with the same exact result of no water dispensed and and ice maker that would fill and drip into the bin.

could there be some reason that it would be so intermittent? The ice maker leaking out is a constant problem since the situation first came about and I will go forth and replace the unit, but I can’t figure out why the water would work sometimes but not others. I thought maybe it could be a frozen line as sometimes the hair dryer would work, but the last few attempts with defrosting haven’t worked.

One other thing to note is when the water dispenser is not working, I try depressing the ice dispenser pad, the door to the chute opens but the auger motor does not turn, almost like something isn’t quite being relayed.
Thanks for all your help!

phireman3395

Premium Member
Jake,
Played around with a fix some more today and found it has to do with the left door closing. If I give it an extra firm shove after closing it I can get all components to work. I will still replace my ice maker to avoid leaks but for now, I’ll take it as a fix.
is there a way to adjust the doors so I don’t have to give the firm push?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Jake,
Played around with a fix some more today and found it has to do with the left door closing. If I give it an extra firm shove after closing it I can get all components to work. I will still replace my ice maker to avoid leaks but for now, I’ll take it as a fix.
is there a way to adjust the doors so I don’t have to give the firm push?
You mean the left side door switch?

That door switch is likely wearing out then, if the door is closed all the way and the door gasket is sealing properly there isn't a way to make the door close further in.

Unplug the refrigerator and ohm test the left side refrigerator door switch.

Here's the left side refrigerator door switch for your model:
Door Switch W11396033

There are two videos in the part link, one shows you how to remove it, the other shows you how to ohm test it. Ohm test both door switches.

I will still replace my ice maker to avoid leaks.
Yes, the new ice maker should fix the water leaking problem. Let us know how it goes.

Jake