• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool Refrigerator WRX735SDHZ02 ice maker leaking

Americanelec

Premium Member
Model Number
WRX735SDHZ02
Brand
Whirlpool
My refrigerator is 3 years old and has recently started leaking water from the ice maker dispenser. The water drips steadily and fills the tray in the door. The ice maker does not make a large quantity of ice and typically has a solid layer of ice in the bottom of the tray. There is also a layer of ice under the tray when it is removed from the freezer.

This unit is in a home that is only occupied in weekends and frequently has the water shut off when unoccupied.

I am good with tools and am trying to determine which part to replace. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So your saying water is dripping from the water dispenser or the ice maker itself? Or both? If you unplug the refrigerator does the water stop leaking?

If not, then your water inlet valve is the problem.

Watch the video below, it shows you how to get access to your water inlet valve.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model:

Jake

Americanelec

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thank you very much for your reply.

The water drips from the ice maker. The ice tray fills with water and the water runs out from the tray and down the ice chute into the tray at the dispenser.

I have not unplugged the refrigerator as the plug is not easily accessible. I will shut off the breaker now and see if the drip continues.

Thanks again. I will post the result.

John

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, yes let us know.

If you turn the ice maker OFF itself does it still leak from the ice maker tray?

If not, the problem is the ice maker itself.

Another member had this same issue:
Reach your hand into the ice maker tray and see if the ice level comes up to very top of the ice maker tray, if so yes the ice maker fill circuit is wearing out and causing it to overfill and leaking into the ice bucket.

The new ice maker will fix it if that's the case.
Your model uses this exact same ice maker.

Here's the ice maker for your model:
WPW10300024 Icemaker

Jake

Americanelec

Premium Member
Thank you, Jake.

Bizarrely, the ice maker has stopped leaking water into the door tray. However, the ice cubes still sit in a frozen mass in the tray. The ice maker also does not make the volume of ice expected overnight and the cubes appear smaller than normal.

I realize that this makes troubleshooting virtually impossible with the inconsistent information. I will swap parts and see what happens. Which part do you recommend that I replace first, the ice maker or the valve.

Thanks again for your advice,

John

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If the ice maker stopped leaking after you turned it off, then the ice maker would be the culprit itself.

So I'd order the ice maker first.

Jake

Americanelec

Premium Member
Thank you, Jake.

I have ordered the part which you recommended and will update the thread when I install it.

I appreciate your help very much.

John

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok John, sounds good. Yes let us know.

Jake

Americanelec

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
I removed and replaced the ice maker using the part that you recommended. The ice maker now produces ice and does not leak. Thank you very much for your help.
When I removed the original ice maker, the water funnel was a solid block of ice and there was no ice in the tray. Do you have any idea why the funnel would fill and freeze without ice in the tray? There were no evident obstructions in the funnel besides the ice.
Thank you again for your assistance.
John

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I removed and replaced the ice maker using the part that you recommended. The ice maker now produces ice and does not leak. Thank you very much for your help.
Excellent, glad to hear that.(y)

When I removed the original ice maker, the water funnel was a solid block of ice and there was no ice in the tray. Do you have any idea why the funnel would fill and freeze without ice in the tray? There were no evident obstructions in the funnel besides the ice.
No sorry, I don't know the cause of why it would do that, unless the water inlet valve had a very tiny leak in it, letting a very small amount of water into the ice maker fill cup and freezing it there.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.