• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool refrigerator WRX988SIBM00 - freezer fan isn't working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Affordable21

Model Number
WRX988SIBM00
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a WRX988SIBM00 and the fan will not come on in the freezer compartment. I replaced the fan motor, bi-metal, freezer thermister, and circuit board but I can not figure out what is stopping power to the fan motor. Also the refrigerator has a self test function and during the different tests features everything works correctly...

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the freezer evaporator fan motor for your model:
W11032800 Motor-Evap

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below. You should be getting 14 Volts DC at that freezer evaporator fan motor.

Service Test - 3 Evaporator fan motor and air baffle motor
--->Control the RC & FC Evaporator Fan Mtrs. by depressing SW3 (01= Both Fan Mtr. off. 02 =FC Fan on.)
--->Depress SW3 once to advance. Step 3 will flash quickly and advances to steps 13/23 very quickly. The result is RC Fan on, Pantry Air Damper on. Pantry Air Damper will open and close automatically. (13= Damper Open. 23= Damper Closed). Verify air flow inside pantry on left hand side when damper is open, (13 displayed). Air flow in pantry will cease when 23 is displayed).
--->Depress SW3 to advance to last step. (04 = Both RC & FC fans on).

FC is the Freezer evaporator fan motor.

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W10503798 - Rev C.pdf
    304.2 KB · Views: 35

Affordable21

I've ran that same test about seven times and verified that both fan motors come on and the air baffle is working correctly. What else could it be?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If its working in TEST MODE, then it should be working in NORMAL MODE, so you have something else going on that we would need to come to your house to investigate.

So its best to contact Whirlpool to come out and see what's going on.

Jake

Affordable21

I am a service tech. The question I'm asking is there something else that could be preventing the fan from getting power in normal cooling operation mode with the doors closed like possibly the 3 way valve in the back, a faulty door switch or an inline resistor etc. ?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Nope, my first thought was the control board, but you said you already replaced it.

Well most techs check the door switch first before replacing expensive parts like the control board, so I assumed you already checked the door switch.

We are a consumer site, not a tech site, there is a PAY WEBSITE for techs to get help for odd issues like the one your having, I suggest you go there: https://appliantology.org/blogs/entry/1027-tech-memberships-at-appliantology/

I'm closing this thread.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.