• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Refrigerator WRX988SIBM01 not cooling after replacing evaporator fan

ClarkGeek

Premium Member
Model Number
WRX988SIBM01
Brand
Whirlpool
We were having problems with our whirlpool WRX988SIBM01 refrigerator cooling enough. It was usually hovering around the low 40’s but was progressively getting worse over the past few weeks. After doing research on the forum here I bought a new evaporator fan W10633627 and replaced it today.

Everything went well with disassembling the fridge and replacing the part and putting everything back together. After I powered on the fridge after the repair and did the diagnostics test #3 I was able to verify that the evap fan was turning on. So I exiting the service mode and just left the fridge alone to cool down.

However, after leaving the fridge on for 2 hours now neither the fridge or the freezer has cooled down at all even though I can hear it running. So I am at a loss now for how to troubleshoot the issue further.

Can y’all please help point me in the right direction?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
after leaving the fridge on for 2 hours now
After 24 hours, if the machine hasn't cooled to the set temperature, make sure the compressor is running. If the compressor is running and there's no cooling the problem is in the sealed system. Sealed system repairs are expensive and will often exceed the machines value.

ClarkGeek

Premium Member
After 24 hours, if the machine hasn't cooled to the set temperature, make sure the compressor is running. If the compressor is running and there's no cooling the problem is in the sealed system. Sealed system repairs are expensive and will often exceed the machines value.
I am pretty sure I hear the compressor running but I am also pretty new to trying to do my own appliance repair. Pulling out the entire fridge is going to be tricky to physically verify that the compressor is running.

What is the best way to very that is the part I am hearing?
Is there a specific service diagnostic test that I should run?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
What is the best way to very that is the part I am hearing?
Put your hand on it and feel for the vibration. The machine is on rollers and should slide out fairly easy.

ClarkGeek

Premium Member
Unfortunately I have had issues with fridges from every major brand Samsung, LG, Whirlpool, etc. So really it feel like a game of picking who is going to suck less