• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Refrigerator WRX988SIBM03 Crisper Drawer Freezing

AF4741

Premium Member
Model Number
WRX988SIBM03
Brand
Whirlpool
Whirlpool 26 cu ft, Model WRX988SIBM03, S/N K64401514

The vents/coils in the back of our middle drawer (crisper, vegetables, etc) keep freezing over to the point you can’t even see it.

2583CBD3-865F-40A4-973F-8F65A225A1B7.jpeg

And this is as defrosted as I can get it…you can see there’s still ice especially on the coils.

20730E34-D7A9-4633-A27A-B22C82B1D7D9.jpeg

I have manually defrosted this area three times now and it obviously continues to freeze up. The temperature for the fridge and freezer are on the recommended setting. All filters have been replaced within the last month. The seams of the doors look to be fine. No area (freezer, crisper or fridge) is overstuffed that it would be blocking airflow.

I should also mentioned that as I used a blow dryer on this area, water was dripping out of the water/ice spout thats on the left door. Like a lot of water dripped out. Weird?

We no longer have the extended warranty with Lowe’s (though they didn’t do anything but cause additional problems anyway). What could be causing this? What areas can we look at? Is it possible for us to fix this vs a repairman?

please respond in simple terms. I do not understand much about this topic other than what I stated above. Thanks.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

There is a service bulletin about this problem, I'm attaching it below.

Do you hear the fan running inside the refrigerator section?

Jake

Attachments

• service-pointer-w11092686-revg.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 178

AF4741

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

I can faintly hear something running inside the refrigerator yes, not sure if it’s the fan or if it’s just normal fridge sounds.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, you will need to remove that evaporator cover and check and see if the fan motor is running. Its called the FRESH FOOD EVAPORATOR FAN MOTOR.

Here's the FRESH FOOD EVAPORATOR FAN MOTOR for your model:
Evaporator Fan Motor W11087438

When you click the part link to it, you will see a video of how to remove that evaporator cover.

Jake

AF4741

Premium Member
Do you happen to know where it’s at exactly in my fridge? I know it says behind a panel in the video, we have a lot of panels. And if it’s the crisper drawer one, well that’s still frozen.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you will need to defrost it first with a hair dryer.

This is the closest video I have to your model, your model may not have the 2 deli drawers, but the rest should be basically the same to get access to it.

Jake