• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool Refrigerator WRX988SIBM03 not defrosting

ridebud

Premium Member
Model Number
WRX988SIBM03
Brand
Whirlpool
Whirlpool French door model with drawer. WRX988SIBM03.

Large frost buildup in bottom of fridge compartment causing vegetables to freeze. Tried defrosting, which works for a while only to come back again.

Other symptoms: the control panel on the left door works, though the display gets a little funky with the leds are dim on the display.

Any tips to troubleshoot? It does not appear this unit has a defrost time, so it likely an issue with a circit board somewhere.

Thanks for your help!

ridebud

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
There have been some issues with the FRESH FOOD EVAPORATOR FAN MOTOR going bad and causing this problem.

Do you hear the FRESH FOOD EVAPORATOR FAN MOTOR running in your refrigerator section?

If not: Then pull your refrigerator out from the wall and remove the cover over the main control board, then on the main control board P14-3(YELLOW) and P14-4(RED) are the wires to the R(refrigerator)C(compartment) EVAP FAN MOTOR. If you are getting 12.7 Volts DC then your problem is the FRESH FOOD EVAPORATOR FAN MOTOR.

Here's the FRESH FOOD EVAPORATOR FAN MOTOR for your model you can order:
Evaporator Fan Motor W11087438

To access it: Look at page 5-9 and 5-10 here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s5wx9d9xppw3wry/R-114 JOB AID W10444924.pdf?dl=0

It will show you how, you may have to remove the Air Tower and the Deli Drawer first, Deli Drawer removal is on 5-7 and 5-8.

Also, there is a service bulletin for this model if your refrigerator serial number is between: K212 to K704

What is the serial number of your refrigerator?

It says this:
Possible Concern: It is possible that consumers may experience frost, or hard ice, forming on the front area of the Refrigerator compartment.
Correction:
This concern could have various different causes each requiring a unique correction. Potential causes to investigate include:
--->The Refrigerator doors do not close correctly, causing excessive warm air to flow through the evaporator.
--->The door gasket, for various reasons, is not sealing properly.
--->The refrigerator section Defrost Thermistor may need to be optimized.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Attachments

• Service Pointer -RefrigEvapThermistor W11092686 - Rev A.pdf
    695.5 KB · Views: 92

ridebud

Premium Member
Got the cover off the evap, it’s solid ice inside.

Tested the RC evap fan and it’s working. (step 3 of the diagnostics)

the serial is K606, so it’s an affected model.

The door seals look good all around, can’t get to the thermistor just yet, it’s encased in a block of ice.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, you can use a hair dryer to melt the ice to get to the thermistor to move it, per that service bulletin.

But keep moving the hair dryer back and forth, don't leave it in one place.

Jake

ridebud

Premium Member
Ok I found that the thermistor on the evap tube was loose, I squeezed the clip and put it back on the tube so it is tight. So hopefully that resolves the issue!

service test 2 shows the thermistor is good (pass)

The display shows some of the LEDs are dim (eg the number display). Though it does appear to operate fine. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• D43897A6-6EFC-4D65-910E-09DDA4756A32.jpeg
    D43897A6-6EFC-4D65-910E-09DDA4756A32.jpeg
    209 KB · Views: 45

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok I found that the thermistor on the evap tube was loose, I squeezed the clip and put it back on the tube so it is tight. So hopefully that resolves the issue!
service test 2 shows the thermistor is good (pass)
Excellent, that should fix it.(y)

The display shows some of the LEDs are dim (eg the number display). Though it does appear to operate fine. Any suggestions?
Looks like you have it in Service Test 11. You may have it set to DIM (50%). You change it to ON (100%).

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below.

It says:
Service Test - 11: Dispenser Lighting
--->Pressing SW3 will change the dispenser lighting setting from OFF (0%) to ON (100%) to DIM (50%). Status indicator light is blank.

Service Test - 12: Accent Light Turns On

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W10811273 - Rev B.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 61

ridebud

Premium Member
Service test 11 is for the LED in the dispenser area, which works fine (high,low, off)

the picture I posted was for service test 8 which lights up everything on the display.

I may try to pull the display apart and check the connections to see if anything is loose or sketchy.

thanks brother!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
LOL, you are correct, didn't even know they had a test for just the dispenser lighting, That's a new test I have no run across before on other Whirlpool models.

Service Test - 8: All UI (User Interface) Indicators
--->Verify that all LED indicators and UI display digits turn on automatically. All indicators on for 30-second time-out. Service Test - 9: UI Button and Pad Test
--->Displays the user interface buttons, and ice and water dispenser pad status as described in the following chart.
NOTE: Do not use SW4 or SW5 as these are used only to navigate through the Service Diagnostics.

Here's the front display board assembly for your model:

Jake