• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Refrigerator WSF26C2EXF01 - The old easy icemaker Fix?

Mezz

Premium Member
Model Number
WSF26C2EXF01
Brand
Whirlpool
Back in the day you could just give the ice maker a little push or turn to activate the stuck mechanism in order to help it push the ice again, and problem solved. Do these have that same issue possibly? I'm asking because mine is not making ice now and I'm not home to help the little lady at the moment. She had a Bachelorette party last night and pushed the machine to the limit lol. I have to believe there's a simple solution because we haven't had any trouble till now.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Check if there is ice in the ice maker mold. Check for 120 VAC between holes "L" and "N" in the ice maker power module.
R-Ice Maker Module No Cover.jpg

If you have 120 VAC, take a short piece of insulated wire, strip the ends and bend it in the shape of a "U". Short holes "T" and "H" together. Once the large white gear starts to rotate, remove the wire. Failure to remove the wire will result in a short circuit and probably trip your breaker.
R-IM T H.jpg

Make sure the beam from the optics is not blocked. The ice maker will continue through the harvest cycle. At the end of the harvest cycle is the fill cycle. The ice maker supplies the water valve with 120 VAC for about 7 seconds.

Last edited:

Mezz

Premium Member
Sounds slightly risky because I'm and electrician and Avionics technician to some degree but I used to get older ice makers to work by manually turning the mechanism when it got stuck. Thanks for your help , much appreciated! When I get home tomorrow I'll let you know how it went!

rickgburton

Staff member
I used to get older ice makers to work by manually turning the mechanism
That doesn't work on the newer ice makers and cause damage to the ice maker. The older style mechanical ice maker used a cam on the ejector arm to open and close a set of microswitches. The newer electro-mechanical style has no microswitches.

Mezz

Premium Member
So before I got home she put regular store bought ice in the bin and then the ice maker started working again. Thinking the optical sensor may have been blocked with ice even though the bin was empty maybe?

rickgburton

Staff member
Thinking the optical sensor may have been blocked with ice even though the bin was empty maybe?
Anything's possible. What's the blue tape for?

Mezz

Premium Member
Anything's possible. What's the blue tape for?
Good question, its pure forgetful laziness on the part of the people who bought the refrigerator before I bought the house, then now me lol, the "shipping" tape is from when it was brand new im guessing. Time to remove haha

rickgburton

Staff member
put regular store bought ice in the bin
Whirlpool like most manufactures say, not a good idea. Best buys and a few others say, sure, no problem. Over the years I have noticed on some machines it is a problem. The odd shaped different size cubes can get stuck just about anywhere. They can cause an ice jamb in the bucket or cause an auger motor to stop working. Most common problem is a cube that sticks in the chute holding the flapper open or not letting it close completely. The ambient air leaks through the flapper and causes the ice it the bucket to stick together. The different size cubes can also damage the crusher blades. Now, that being said, I'm sure there are many models that don't have any problems using bag ice in the ice bucket. I thought you should know.

Mezz

Premium Member
I was worried about that, especially since i was out of town and thought they would just buy ice and use it out of the bag only. However when I arrived I saw the last of the bag ice under the new ice that started to make again. Guess we lucked out this time.