Whirlpool Side by Side Freezer and Fridge problems

briant97

Premium Member
Model Number
ED2FHGXKQ01
Brand
Whirlpool
This is a 2002 model. The freezer is not freezing completely it will keep things really cold but not freeze a glass of water in a cup. It is semi frozen meaning a little ice I noticed problem when things were melting. I have both the fridge and freezer turned to coldest setting. It seems on fridge that the things in the upper level are not getting very cold. Both of them are turned to the max coldest temp. Any help would be really appreciated on what I should do next and possible parts I need. If there is a service manual I will need that would be great. So far I have experience repairing big screen tv, washer that wouldn't spin, subwoofer surround sound that had hum. Now my next venture is the fridge.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Take the food out of the bottom portion of your freezer and look on the back panel and feel for frost build up on it.

Also is the fan in your freezer running?

Jake

briant97

Premium Member
Well I don't know what to say it started working again...where stuff had melted in the bottom of the freezer I know have a big block of ice and the cup of water i sat in there froze solid.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thats odd, don't know why it did that.

Jake

G&O

Premium Member
May I hijack this thread...?!

Hi Jake!
I prefer to reuse and recycle when ever possible so I'll just piggyback here! I'm an old user but had to re-register cuz I forgot all my info. Anyway:

I have this same problem.
Whirlpool model #ED20DB -and- #ED20DF are both listed inside the door.
Side-by-side - it's likely a 1999 model.

The refrigerator side is fine.
Freezer is "cold" but not freezing.
Freezer temp setting at coldest level. (Fridge still at moderate setting.)
Light comes on normally.
The door seals properly.
No sign of frost at all.
The fan seems to be running non-stop.

Been like this for several days and has not yet decided to mysteriously repair itself! :3:

Next?
~Chris

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Chris,

We will need the full model# of yours, click here to locate it.

Possibly the compressor start relay has gone bad on yours.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks, if the compressor is running and not cooling properly you said the evaporator coils in the freezer were fine with frost build up right?

How about looking at the coils to make they ALL have frost on them, because if some have frost and others don't then your compressor is starting to go out if the compressor is running non-stop.

Jake

G&O

Premium Member
Little more clearly...

OK, let me be a little more clear:

Frost - when I open the freezer, there is no frost build up to be seen - inside the freezer. I have NOT examined any coils.

Compressor vs Fan? Not sure there is any difference but, from my earlier comment, I'm not sure it's the "compressor" that is running non-stop. When I open the freezer door, I can hear "something" running and there is air flow that does not appear to cycle off. I assumed it was a fan. When I'm just standing in the kitchen, the unit does not appear to make more noise than usual.

Where do I access the coils? Back of the unit or from inside the freezer?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, take all the food out of the freezer and take the shelves out and remove the back panel from inside the freezer, should have about 4-6 screws holding it in place.

Then look at the coils for an even frost pattern on ALL the coils.:)

To make sure your compressor is running you pull the refrigerator out from the wall, then remove the lower access panel and put your hand on the compressor and it should be warm and vibrating.:)

Thats something you need to do anyways once a year as part of your maintenance of cleaning in the back due to excess dust that collects back there over time.

Also Your condenser coils are underneath your refrigerator, you need to clean those once a year as well.

Take the bottom grill off in the front, next to the floor, it just snaps off, pull hard. Open both refrigerator and freezer doors first. Then get a flashlight and look at the condenser coils and if there clogged with pet hair/lint/dirt clean them, use a vacuum then blowing them out with compressed air or air compressor helps alot too.

I'm bad about this myself, as my computer video card started acting up last weekend and I hadn't opened my computer in about 2 years and I couldn't believe the massive dust build-up inside it, I cleaned all the dust up, the video card worked fine that evening, then the next day it was acting up again, so I knew it was blown, went to Best Buy and got a new nvidia video card for $275 and not one problem since.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, so everything is fine now? Cooling is fine on both sides?

Jake

G&O

Premium Member
Ice cream = a runny shake!

Oh - no sir...!!

The motor is dust free, compressor is running, and there is no frost but it's still acts like one big refrigerator with no freezer...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then you'll need to have a Whirlpool tech. come out, sounds like you have problem in your compressor or sealed system that only a licensed refrigeration tech. can fix.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help Chris.

Sorry the news couldn't be better.

Jake

G&O

Premium Member
Jake - one last ditch effort here - haha...
Contacted a tech. He's thinking it's terminal and I'll just need to get a new fridge so I figured I should roll this by you - final opinion of sorts before I spend a couple thousand bucks...

First - the fridge is holding about 35˚ and it's been like this for over a week now. Just won't get colder...

I looked again and actually found frost - not sure how I missed it the first time but - see pics:
This is a view of the whole thing. There is frost on the top coil. Here's a close up.

The compressor is running.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I see the photos, and thats absolutely a bad compressor. The frost should be even on the entire coil not just the top coil.:)

Why a couple thousand? Today is your lucky day, its Memorial Day.:) And that means if you go to Sears right now, you can big bucks, as they are having their annual Memorial Day appliance sale.:)

Jake

G&O

Premium Member
Haha - already have one picked out!
If it's gonna die, I guess this is good timing - fortunately, the sale goes through tomorrow...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I was about to say the sale prices should be good at least through tomorrow.:)

Jake