• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Side-by-Side Making Mess on Floor

i_am_jim

Premium Member
Model Number
ED22DWXTN00
Brand
Whirlpool
My 27 year old Whirlpool Side-by-Side made the mess in the picture below.

The frig is in a recess and I only pull it out to change the water filter every six months. This stuff seem like it must have been sticky at first, dust was captured by the goo for a while, then it hardened nearly rock hard. Water cleaned much of it, SoftScrub got some-more, but 409, Goof Off and a razor blade scraper did no good on the rest. The mess was about 1/3 back from the front of the frig and about centered side-to-side. Given this central location it seems like it must have come from the frig.

Anybody have any idea what it is, what part it came from and if it spells doom for the frig?

213ns5j.jpg

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you remove the lower back access panel from the back of your refrigerator to see if any type of liquid is leaking from the sealed system tubing lines?

It could also be insulation from your refrigerator's cabinet, after 25 years that can start breaking down and causing a mess like that as well.

Jake

i_am_jim

Premium Member
Did you remove the lower back access panel from the back of your refrigerator to see if any type of liquid is leaking from the sealed system tubing lines?
Thanks for your reply.

No, I didn't look from the back. I can see nothing from the front. But, there was nothing about this that was even semi-liquid. It was all hard as a rock, so if it leaked in the past it is not leaking now.

It could also be insulation from your refrigerator's cabinet, after 25 years that can start breaking down and causing a mess like that as well.
Now that seems like a possibility, but probably nothing I can do anything about. Will this affect anything other than efficiency?

jim

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Will this affect anything other than efficiency?
No Jim, it will still cool fine, but your electric bill will increase.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your welcome.

Jake