• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool side by side Model WRS965CIAH00 makes ice but wont dispense

Status
Not open for further replies.

alwaysaffordableappliance

Premium Member
Model Number
WRS965CIAH00
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello I am an appliance service technician and I'm writing about an issue on a repair that I am having trouble with and have been unable to resolve and have not been able to locate a service manual for. The problem is on a Whirlpool side by side refrigerator model number WRS965CIAH00 serial HR23314029 that is still making ice and dropping ice into the bucket will not dispense or energize the auger motor. The customer previously replaced the switch and pad for ice as well as auger motor on the unit.

When the switch to dispense ice is pressed the dispenser door opens up as if to dispense ice but the auger motor never turns. I have tested the switch by checking for voltage at the auger motor and found none. Additionally I have swapped leads from the ice to water switch and tested that to rule out the switch itself entirely. I have also replaced the ice maker control board module, however this did not solve the problem either, the display on the new module appears to be working fine and the water dispenses however ice does not and the LED light which illuminates the area below the dispenser has begun strobing rapidly intermittently.

I believe this is due to the fact that the new module must be programmed by inputting the code on the model number sticker within the refrigerator. I have a service manual for an earlier model, however the buttons on the controls are not the same and no combination I have tried will put the control into programming mode. I need some help with this problem as soon as possible, as well as locating a service manual for this model and or repair solution and additional troubleshooting information. Thanks in advance.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Check the wire harness where the wires go through the bottom hinge. This is becoming a common issue:

refrigerator door hinge wires.jpg
refrigerator door wires broken.jpg
refrigerator door wires.jpg

Premium Member
Excellent, thank you so much! I posted this half a dozen different places and this is the first and by far most useful response I have received yet, I am very hopeful that this is the cause of the issue! In your experience when this happens is there usually enough play in the wire harness to strip wires and attach with butt connectors or does the whole harness usually have to be replaced?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Some members have had to add a section of wire and sometimes there's enough room. The constant twisting can cause the wires to break inside the wire casing so give each wire a tug. If the wire is broken it will break. Don't use butt connectors or twist the wires together and black tape them. Solder the wires and use heat shrink. Like my old grandaddy use to say, If you don't have time to fix it right the first time, when will you find time to fix it again,.......LOL

Premium Member
Absolutely, will do I would never twist and tape, always solder or use very solid inline and wire nut connections where they are not likely to cause problems and heat shrink or tape afterwords

Premium Member
Hi rick just wanted to give you an update with my eternal gratitude, you were correct, there were 4 severed wires in the harness and enough room for me to solder! Thank you so much for the help, without you I may well have had to give up on this one and refund the diagnostic fee. I have no idea how everything else and the display were still functioning like this and the severed wires were impossible to see without cutting the loam. Wish you were closer, I would love to buy you a beer my friend you saved me and I owe you, thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.