FIXED Whirlpool side by side not dispensing ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joyce

Premium Member
Have been reading this thread hoping to find the nswer to my fridge problem. My ice maker stopped for about a day and then made one bucket of ice and stopped again. The sensor light does the blinking even with the flapper closed. The fingers are pointed towards me at about a 90 degree angle. There is ice in the tray, it is just not being dumped. Mine is a Whirlpool M# GS2SHEXNS00 (gold series) Do I need the sensors or ice maker or both? I had replaced the ice maker a few years ago. And yes, I did get it from the repair clinic, I love that site, it has saved so many appliances in my house!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Have been reading this thread hoping to find the nswer to my fridge problem. My ice maker stopped for about a day and then made one bucket of ice and stopped again. The sensor light does the blinking even with the flapper closed. The fingers are pointed towards me at about a 90 degree angle. There is ice in the tray, it is just not being dumped. Mine is a Whirlpool M# GS2SHEXNS00 (gold series) Do I need the sensors or ice maker or both? I had replaced the ice maker a few years ago. And yes, I did get it from the repair clinic, I love that site, it has saved so many appliances in my house!!
Hi Joyce,

You have a bad ice maker causing this issue.

Here's the 5 cube ice maker for your model you can order here:
Ice Maker Assembly W10190961 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Here's the instructions TO change the ice maker assembly:

1. Remove the bucket from the door to get some room.

2. Put a piece of tape on the sensor flapper to hold it down so you won't damage it while removing the ice maker.

3. Remove the ice maker service cover door by spreading the two hinge fingers apart away from the center and the door should lift out of the slot.

4. Remove the screw in the right rear bottom side of the ice maker.

5. After removing the screw that cover should lift up from the rear and just work it out from the rear and you see the electrical harness.

6. On the left track the should be a tab toward the bottom which you need to push up.

7. Push up tab and start working the ice maker towards you pulling it out of the track.

8. Careful with the electrical harness in the back as you're pulling out.

9. Disconnect the electrical plug by lifting the clip on the plug.

10. Remove the side cover on the side module by pulling off.

11. Remove the bottom shield by removing the 3 screws on the bottom.

12. To install reverse the order as it came out.

Jake

Joyce

Premium Member
Thank you so much for the fast reply, the ice maker is ordered! As I said before, the Repair Clinic has saved me tons of money over the years. I also tell all of my friends about the site.

Das Boots

Premium Member
Not only that...they stand behind their product and service. I was sent with a defective ice maker. I called them and they sent a replacement immediately. I still have the defective ice maker...still in the box.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The verdict is ... it did not dispense any ice once there was water in the tray
Ok, water in the tray? Or ice in the tray? If you manually filled it with water, then it should of turned to ice in a matter of about 90 minutes.

If you meant to say ice and it didn't cycle out, then the problem is the ice maker itself, if your LED optics are STEADY ON.

Here's the ice maker for your model you can order here:
Ice Maker Assembly 2198597 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thank you so much for the fast reply, the ice maker is ordered! As I said before, the Repair Clinic has saved me tons of money over the years. I also tell all of my friends about the site.
Sounds good Joyce, keep us posted.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Not only that...they stand behind their product and service. I was sent with a defective ice maker. I called them and they sent a replacement immediately. I still have the defective ice maker...still in the box.
Yes RepairClinic is top notch.:)

Did they say to just keep your defective ice maker? Or return it?

Jake

Joyce

Premium Member
So far I've not had to test their return policy, all of the parts I've ordered worked perfectly. I do appreciate the fact that they have the policy if ever I need it. I love also that they give you detailed instructions on how to install the part that was ordered. It is a great site, I always sing it's praises because I've never had a reason not to.;)

carolkirk

Premium Member
Whirlpool/Sears Coldspot not dispensing ice update

Tried to post this and for some reason it didn't like me so trying again. Machine did not dispense ice after I turned it on and filled it manually.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The machine did not dispense any ice after we filled it with water.
Ok, so you replaced the ice maker? How long did you wait after you manually filled it?

What position is the ejector arm fingers pointing? Stright down in the tray? Straight up? Pointing at you?

Because the sensor light should be solid red per this test:

Step#1: Open the freezer and view the status led

(STATUS LED)

2 BLINKS FOLLOWED BY 1 SEC. DELAY(REPEATED)

POSSIBLE CAUSES: The flapper door on the emitter is blocking the beam or the optics are faultly.

Step#2: Press the emitter flapper to unblock the optics beam

(STATUS LED)

2 BLINKS FOLLOWED BY 1 SEC. DELAY(REPEATED)

POSSIBLE CAUSES: The optics are faulty. Replace the emitter and receiver boards.

If the LED is on steady: The optics are working properly.

Here are the boards you can order, they come together in 1 kit with instructions:
Ice Level Control Board 4389102 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Jake

carolkirk

Premium Member
oh no... I was letting you know filling the tray didn't make water, are we supposed to replace it?

I didn't see a part number and message to replace the ice maker. We were only on step one which was to turn it on, fill it and see what happens. LED works fine.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What position is the ejector arm fingers pointing? Stright down in the tray? Straight up? Pointing at you?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you manually fill the ice maker tray with water and see if it would cycle out?

I just noticed on your first post you said the LED was blinking and not solid on steady, If thats the case then you need the optics board kit, I may have misread that you said it was solid on, so thats my fault, I'm sorry. When too many people post in the same thread it throws me off kilter.

Here are the boards you can order, they come together in 1 kit with instructions:
Ice Level Control Board 4389102 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
In fact after I'm done helping you, I'm closing this thread to new posts, its getting way too long anyway.

Jake

Joyce

Premium Member

Jake
The fingers are pointing straight, pointing at me. OK if I order the boards, do I return the new ice maker and try installing the old one, or just keep the new one "in case"

Status
Not open for further replies.