• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool side-by-side WSF26C2EXF01 not making ice

Todd Petry

Premium Member
Model Number
WSF26C2EXF01
Brand
Whirlpool
Starting yesterday, the fridge side is not very cold, and the top shelves of the freezer are not very cold. The bottom of the freezer is cold as is a panel at the back of the lower half of freezer side. Ice maker is not making ice and it all melted. I suspect I may have left the fridge door slightly ajar yesterday afternoon for several hours. When returning home, found water in the ice dispenser tray (outside of door) and noticed water dispenser would not work either. I did some searching on this site last night and found several helpful posts, but no solid solution as yet.

I was able to run through all the diagnostic tests at the panel from step 1 through 48 and nothing seems to fail. After thinking about why the water dispenser isn't working, and seeing more frost than normal at the lower back of freezer, I decided to unplug the unit overnight assuming the lines had frozen. Upon starting it back up this morning, water is working again and the unit is running. Lower half of freezer side is cold, but not the upper half, nor do I feel any cold air coming from the vent that leads into the ice maker compartment. Fridge side is not overly cold yet after running now about 4 hours.

I did see articles about the cabling harness issues others have had, and looked at that, but didn't see any visible issues, however I did not open up the outer casing of the wiring harness. That said, all the diagnostic tests passed from what I could tell, and all the door sensors, etc, are working correctly.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Of course, this happens 3 days after my home warranty expires.....

Thanks in advance

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

When you open the freezer door do you hear the evaporator(freezer) fan running? On some models you have to hold the door switch in to hear it run.

If you don't hear it running, its possibly bad. You could verify by checking for 120 volts at that fan motor.

Here's the evaporator fan motor for this model in case you need it(Video included):
4389144 Evaporator Fan Motor

Jake

Todd Petry

Premium Member
Thanks Jake! I did a bit more work on it yesterday and took the panel off from inside the freezer compartment and found that the evaporator fan was not running, as you suggest. I spun the fan blade and it started to run again, but has since stopped. I ordered the part and it is arriving tomorrow, which should take care of the issue.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Todd

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Todd, that evaporator fan motor in your freezer is definity the problem then.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Todd Petry

Premium Member
Fixed with a new evap fan!

Thanks Jake, the new fan did the trick and was a very simple repair.

Todd

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Todd, glad to hear the new evaporator fan motor fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake