Whirlpool single vs. dual evaporators

kalanikaau

Premium Member
In the market for a new French door fridge manufactured by Whirlpool.
A local repair person advised that I avoid models which feature dual evaporator cooling.
He cited that this technology is in its infancy, and is, therefore, trouble-prone.

Does anyone here concur with his opinion, can you elaborate, please?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Well, GE has had an issue with the dual evaporator coil cooling, you can search of forums to see that, there are many.

Whirlpool seems to be much better at this, hardly any complaints at all.

But as the saying goes: The more BELLS and WHISTLES, the more problems!

So if I was you I'd stay with just the basic Whirlpool single evaporator, they make many in the French Door Style.

Jake

kalanikaau

Premium Member
Thanks Jake for the advice, the Whirlpool model I am considering is the WRF736SDAM because of it's fridge icemaking/dispensing feature, solely because this design frees up space in the fridge section. It features single evaporator cooling.

Alas, it's reviews have been less than stellar, with the ice making/dispensing system the main culprit (it seems as though ALL fridges with this setup have had issues). Is the ice maker in this unit actually mounted in the fridges ceiling?

This new fridge is meant to replace a 7-year-old KitchenAid (KFIS25XV) of which has developed several sealed system leaks, true, Whirlpool will cover the parts, but the repair person's labor charge is astronomical. This design places a bulky icemaker in the fridge section, which takes up a lot of valuable space, however, has been quite reliable, ice maker wise.

Whirlpool does still market a single evaporator french door fridge with the a bulky icemaker in the fridge section, in view of reliability, I am willing to give up some space in the fridge section.
That model number is WRF555SDFZ, I may even string for an Amana

Samsung (LG), and Bosch are out of the question
Ditto for Electrolux(Frigidaire/GE, you could not GIVE me anything made by Electrolux
KitchenAid only markets dual evaporator units.
Kenmore units with the same features are either made by LG or Electrolux

Recommendations? Comments?

Thanks in advance...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is the ice maker in this unit actually mounted in the fridges ceiling?
Some are and some are mounted inside the door.

I prefer the ice maker in the freezer section, less problems.:)

Several companies make Kenmore, when you are at the store shopping look at the model number tag inside the refrigerator section.

If the model number starts with 106 its made by Whirlpool. 795 is made by LG. 253 is made by Frigidaire. 596 is made by Amana.

I'd get Whirlpool or Kenmore 106 or Kenmore 596 or Maytag.

Stay away from Bosch, Samsung, LG, GE.

Jake

delaware74b

Premium Member
I have the WRF736SDAM since bought new in August 2013. I have had no problems with it. The ice maker is in the ceiling of the fresh food section, left side. It is a good ice maker, considering its size and location.

However, it just doesn't have the output of my '04 Kenmore (Whirlpool-built) top freezer. I can empty the bin and it will be refilled in 24 hours.

The french door one just can't compete with the top freezer. The cubes are smaller to work with the door bin and dispenser.

kalanikaau

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply, its good to hear at least 1 positive remark on this model.
You are certainly correct about the top mount models, I've got a vintage Whirlpool that's gotta be at least 22 years old and still performing reliably. I did have to replace the icemaker once, though.
While I do not expect the new Whirlpool to last half as long as this dinosaur, it has made me a believer in Benton Harbor products

kalanikaau

Premium Member
Thanks again Jake.
I've made myself a pest chatting at the Sears website inquiring as to who made which Kenmore.
Not too long ago I would get responses chatting with Sears that Kenmore made the particular unit, of which I would firmly correct them...
It pays to be an informed consumer

delaware74b

Premium Member
The ice maker in the top freezer is the original one but I had to replace the water inlet valve due to damage during a move prior to my owning this refrigerator. Replaced it and no problems.

steevmac

Well, GE has had an issue with the dual evaporator coil cooling, you can search of forums to see that, there are many.

Whirlpool seems to be much better at this, hardly any complaints at all.

But as the saying goes: The more BELLS and WHISTLES, the more problems!

So if I was you I'd stay with just the basic Whirlpool single evaporator, they make many in the French Door Style.

Jake

Hi Jake, I see this comment was posted regarding GE dual evaps in Jan 2017. Has GE corrected the problem?
I have a Samsung that has died and looking to replace it with something other than a Samsung, GE profile French 3 door is currently at the top of my list.

I like the concept of dual evaps and had that on the Samsung, however if there are problems with the technology not completely baked then I would be better off with a single evap.

Appreciate any updates you may have on the GE problem previously mentioned.

Steve

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
GE has improved since 2017, so you may be ok getting one now Steve.

Jake

apparatus

Premium Member
The $4K Scamsung fridge that came with our house stopped working as well so we are looking for a reliable single evaporator single compressor fridge freezer combo. Prefer 32, stainless, bottom freezer french door fridge. We don't need an icemaker.

Any suggestions?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
We recommend Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, and Amana.

Jake