Whirlpool Washer clicking noise while agitating

EugeneWasher

Premium Member
Model Number
GSW9800PW0
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello,
Just did a search for help on the internet on washers and this site came up. Pretty cool! Anyways, I need help. My washer makes a clicking noise when being used about halfway through the agitating cycle. There is no noise when spinning. I replaced the agitating dogs this morning thinking it would help (they needed to be replaced anyways), but it did not help. If I turn the washer off, then back on, the noise stops, as you can see in the video. If you know how to fix this please help. It is driving me nuts hunting this down.
Thank you for your help!!!!!!

Broken Whirlpool Washer - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like it's part of the neutral pack that's clicking but without a model number, we're dead in the water. Read it from the tag on the machine. Click here: Appliance Parts, Lawn Mower Parts, Heating Cooling Parts. 365 day returns. Then follow the link “Help me find my model number”. It looks a lot older than one year but if it's less than a year it's still under warranty.

rickgburton

Staff member
Keep in mind that some noises sound different on a video. The noise I hear sounds like the trip lever in the transmission. It's part of the neutral pak. This is what keeps the tub from spinning while the water is draining. When the water is almost drained out of the tub the timer pauses the motor. This allows the trip lever to engage in the neutral pak and when the motor starts up again it goes into spin. The trip lever remain there through the next wash cycle. If it's worn out the cam keeps hitting it because the motor is turning the opposite direction for agitate. When you stop the machine it goes back into the notch on the spin gear until works free again.
WP Direct Drive Neutral Drain.jpg

Neutral Drain kit 388253 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Neutral-Drain-kit-388253--00882045.jpgNeutral-Drain-kit-388253--00882373.jpg

F

fairbank56

That is clearly the sound of the motor cutting on and off. Halfway thru the agitation cycle, the timer uses a different set of contacts to change the speed of the motor to medium. Sounds like there is a bad spot in the timer and by pushing the knob in and pulling it out again you are causing the timer contacts to make better connection. If the timer contacts don't make good connection when it switches speed, the motor centrifugal switch will just keep switching the motor on/off in high speed.

Eric

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Looks like we have two different opinions here.

Best way to isolate the problem would be to remove the motor and put the motor on the floor and start the washer to see if that clicking noise is still present.

You'd need to remove the washer cabinet and jump the lid switch to do that.

To jump the lid switch: Just short the two wires in the connector. DO NOT SHORT OR CONNECT ANYTHING TO THE GREEN WIRE

This video shows how to remove your washer cabinet:

[video=youtube_share;Puq8jWMY9Iw]http://youtu.be/Puq8jWMY9Iw?list=PLC38C8713C43C08E6[/video]

Keep us posted.

Jake

rickgburton

Staff member
It could be the motor, I can't hear it very well even with the volume up. It kind of sounds like it.