• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool washer leak

joann

Premium Member
Model Number
LSQ8000LQ1
Brand
Whirlpool
My Whirlpool washer which is 10 years old started leaking a couple of weeks ago. I only noticed last week because the "tray" that the washer stands in was almost full of water. I used old towels to sop up that water, thankful that it didn't overflow and ruin the floor.

I tried a load in the washer and made the following observations:
- the leaking starts when the water is turned on
- the leaking is a steady drip, about a full second between drips
- seems to come from the front because I can see the ripples caused by each drip as it falls into the tray under the washer. It's also in the middle. I mean, I stand in front of the washer and look straight down. From there, I can see the tray starting to get wet and a pool of water forming. In the pool of water visible by just looking straight down at it from where I'm standing, I see the ripple caused by each drip and the ripple in the middle of the front part of the tray. I feel that if I could tip my washer backwards, I would be able to see where the drip is coming from in the front bottom part of the washer.
- my dad thinks it might be a pipe, but the drip continues even after the load is done. The fact that it still drips for a while seems to suggest that there's water trapped somewhere (the drum?) and it continues to leak until it's exhausted. But I could be wrong.

Any suggestions for how to start troubleshooting in earnest will be appreciated.

By the way, I came to Appliance Blog last month because my dryer stopped heating. That problem has been fixed and I put something in the tip jar, thanks again. But it seems that 10 years is when my Whirlpool washer-dryer started to show its age.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Check the drain pump...it can drip even after the washer stops running.

attachment.php
LINK> Drain pump for belt-less direct-drive washer, one large port, one small port

[video=youtube;DwV71h86Gxw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DwV71h86Gxw[/video]

jeff.

Attachments

• Drain-Pump-3363394-00554734.jpg
    Drain-Pump-3363394-00554734.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 806

joann

Premium Member
jeff1, we opened up the washer and checked the drain pump. That's the culprit. I will order a new part and have it installed. Will write back to let you know how it goes. Thanks!

jeff1

Staff member
Please do let us know how the repair goes.

jeff.

joann

Premium Member
FIXED Whirlpool washer leak

Please do let us know how the repair goes.

jeff.

Hi Jeff,

My dad and I replaced the drain pump. Well, he did all the work. I handed him tools and mopped up the floor. But the washer is working again and I've done several loads over the weekend. Many thanks again to you and all the folks at Appliance Blog. I'll be dropping something in the tip jar!

jeff1

Staff member
Thankx for the update :)

jeff.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.