Whirlpool washer Ultimate care II Gold - horrible bang like something is slipping

robkat

Premium Member
Model Number
unknown
Brand
Whirlpool
Appears to wash alright, agitator functions and tub will spin to what I think is water is mostly spun out. If I change the selector to a different wash pattern then during spin I get a horrible bang like something is slipping and then re engaging. While spinning I also get this high speed somewhat clicking like a metal tip is being held against a fast spinning gear wheel teeth. Only on one cycle will I not get the clunk bank and engage but still get the gear teeth noise, almost a buzz but definitely metallic and not electrical. This gear like noise is not constant but seems to be louder and then softer while the drum is spinning.

I am not certain that the drum is spinning full speed but it does spin. I do not know if the drum stops momentarily when this disengagement happens. I can not see the model number, it has been washed away. I recently replaced the motor coupling and I think that the original coupling breaking was not related. OK, edit post. The clank noise is on all cycles. It seemed to be not on all but at this point it is intermittent but on about every other wash cycle. With the lid open the agitator works and the tub spins but with the noises and clunk.

When empty and off I can turn the agitator both ways no resistance, Is this alright or a prob? Also when I turn the agitator one way it it the clicking noise but not the other way. OK another edit. Took the agitator out and the buzzy noise I think are the teeth on the top smaller agitator that holds the softener part. So the noise must be unrelated to the banging, slipping, engagement during the spin cycle.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Without a model number, we're dead in the water. Read it from the tag on the machine. Click here: Appliance Parts follow the link “How to find a model number”

robkat

Premium Member
part of a tag is still there but it has been washed away, all I see now is a bar code. I will do as you say and follow the link

robkat

Premium Member
well because it is a second hand washer Whirlpool will not even speak with me. The model numer as I said was washed off so there is not a tag. I looked inside, all around under and over and the only remnant of a tag is under the lid at the back but it is barely there. With that I am thinking now that it is a clutch problem and the noise may be a shaft bearing.

robkat

Premium Member
If I need a transmission is the Part Number stamped on the gear case? It is a cast gear case not the pressed sheetmetal type.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Usually the part number is stamped on the gear case.

Does it look like this one:

This is the most common direct drive gearcase for Whirlpool washers:
Transmission 3360629

Jake

robkat

Premium Member
yep, thats it. the banging went away when I silicon greased the clutch then a different worse bang is here and the agitator only goes in one direction causing a real whirlpool. Transmission is shot