Whirlpool washer will not fill up, only fills half way; Model WTW58ESVW1

Geomagno

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW58ESVW1
Brand
Whirlpool
On the large load options (Super Wash, Heavy, and Regular), the tub only fills about 1/3 to 1/2 then starts to agitate. If I spin the Cycle Control Knob around again or push it in and out, it will fill the rest of the way.
Additional details: I wash in cold water; the water pressure is good; the water input hose screens are free of any sediment.
Not sure if this a problem with the Control Knob or with a water level indicator. Not sure where to start. I would appreciate some ideas and don't be afraid to be detailed! I have an exploded view diagram but I've never worked on washer before.
Thanks.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Take the hose off the load sensing switch and blow through it to clear it. Also, make sure drain hose is up at least 42 inches from the finished floor and is discharging into an open stand pipe to prevent water from siphoning that can damaging the switch. If the problem persists you may need to replace the Load Sensing Switch:

Temperature switch W10248240 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Temperature-switch-W10248240-00668905.jpg

To access the switch, use a putty knife or something similar and push in under the front of each end cap to release the clips. Lift the console and fold back. After the hose has been replaced back on the switch, run the machine in a spin cycle for several minutes.

Last edited:

Geomagno

Premium Member
Thanks for the tips rickgburton
Drain hose looks good; hose on load sensing switch is clear; did a voltage check for the Temp switch from a Youtube video and the voltages check out.
Can the load sensing switch within the Temp Switch be fixed? If it needs replaced I'd rather try to fix it if it comes apart.
Maybe you've repaired one of these?

Also, I read this suggestion from someone online. Do you agree with this troubleshooting method?
"You can test it by removing the 2 connectors from the load sensing switch and then turn the machine on in the fill or wash cycle....no agitation = bad load sensing switch.
If the machine immediately agitates with the wires disconnected from the load sensing switch then you have a bad timer...."

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
Unfortunately, that's one switch I haven't tried to fix. I haven't had that many calls on that style washer. I don't know the schematic of the switch itself so I don't about the other troubleshooting method but it seems to make sense somewhat. When I worked for a used appliance shop I use to try and fix switches and timers all the time. Anymore the switches are totally different. My guess is if you take that one apart you'll find a PC board inside. I think just bending and cleaning contact points is in the past.

Geomagno

Premium Member
What else I've found - someone's been here before me!

Here's something else I've found on this machine after I raised the console panel: I found the lid switch is not connected; and 2 wires have been cut with 2 of the ends spliced by a wire nut.
Someone's been doing some jury rigging. I tried to attach a photo, but if it doesn't work I provided a link on flickr.
1)The wires in the loose plug (which looks like it goes to the lid switch) are brown and black/red. What I've read shows the wires to the lid switch are white and grey so I'm not sure if this really is supposed to go to the lid switch.
2) 2 wires ( one black, one grey) have been cut and spliced with a wire nut, leaving 2 of the ends loose. Where do these go and what was being accomplished by cutting and splicing them?

I'm afraid to touch any of this stuff now but I'd like to know what the person who did this was thinking. Maybe this is an accepted work-around to get the washer to work. Any thoughts? :wall:

Whirlpool washer WTW58ESVW1.JPG

rickgburton

Staff member
The Lid switch was bypassed and the other is a test plug. The lid switch is a safety device that will stop the machine from spinning if the lid is opened. If you have small children it's a good idea to replace it or it's OK the way it is.

Geomagno

Premium Member
The Lid switch was bypassed and the other is a test plug. The lid switch is a safety device that will stop the machine from spinning if the lid is opened. If you have small children it's a good idea to replace it or it's OK the way it is.
Thanks Rick.