• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool washer WTW5000DW1 wash plate spins freely.

BnTallant

Model Number
WTW5000DW1
Brand
Whirlpool
This is my second washer of this model. I got a new one because my old one was doing the same thing. This time I decided to investigate. It started by not spinning the clothes out all the way. It would drain and start the spin cycle but would stop before it really got going good and then it would start trying to fill up with water again even though I had it on the drain and spin cycle. I made sure there was no clog in the drain hose and I put it all back together.

While recalibrating it, when it went into check the wash cycle the plate just started to spin freely on its own. There was no resistance. I've torn it apart and the teeth on the hub are almost completely smooth. Could that be what is causing all the problems? I'm really not trying to replace the whole gearbox. If it comes to that, I'm just getting a new set. Tired of working on this washing machine.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, if the hub is stripped that will cause the NO SPIN problem.

Here's the hub for your model:
W10528947 Hub

Your washplate spline might be stripped on the transmission shaft, I'd check that first. Once the washplate is removed from the transmission shaft try to turn the transmission shaft with your hand both ways, if it turns freely, then your transmission is the culprit as well for the "wash plate spins freely problem".

Here's the washplate for your model:
W10752283 Washplate

Here's the transmission(gearcase) for your model: W11454734 Gearcase

For others following your thread, this video shows you how to remove the washplate:

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.