• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Washer WTW5000DW1 won't work

blueyzfr6

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW5000DW1
Brand
Whirlpool
ok so I bought it used a couple months ago. When I would wash clothes the spin cycle would seem like it isn't calibrated. It would thud thud thud. I would push on the front and it would stop. Well yesterday it just stopped. After some research I found out you can "calibrate" it. Well to little to late #fail Well now it won't do anything. So if I spin the pulleys on the bottom nothing happens. If I spin the tub, the pulleys spin. I would hear click, but it wouldn't engage. The red part(circles) is difficult to move. I don't know if that is the issue or the clutch. I've attached a video of the error codes, I think.

Also 1 more thing, I tried to do the test on "diagnostic mode". Now it is full of water and won't drain. How do I get it to manually drain?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20200729_102844.jpg
    20200729_102844.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 20200729_103005.jpg
    20200729_103005.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 40

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

blueyzfr6

Premium Member
Did the diagnostic mode say that's what's wrong? I don't want to get it and have that not be the problem lol

rickgburton

Staff member

rickgburton

Staff member
I'm not sure what your trying to show in the video but it's not the diagnostic mode. Follow these instructions exactly how I give them to you:

Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off).

Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise one or more clicks to clear sequence.

Within 6 seconds:

Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait ½ second.

Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise one click and wait ½ second.

All the status LEDs (except for Lid Locked) will be flashing ON and OFF in half-second intervals

Turn the cycle selector knob until the status LEDs correspond as follows:
L-WFW error mode.jpg

Press the START button to enter Fault Code Display Mode. The status LEDs flash on and off

Fault/error codes are displayed by alternating the state of the Status LEDs in one second intervals. All fault/error codes have an F# and an E#. The F# indicates the suspect System/Category and the E# indicates the suspect Component system.

If the Fill or Sensing LED is ON, the Fault Number is represented. If the Fill or Sensing LED is OFF the Error Number is represented.

The remaining LEDs (Wash, Rinse, Spin, and Done) represent the fault and error code in binary. Each LED has its own number starting with 1 (Done) and doubles reading right to left.
L-WFW BINARY.jpg

You get the number by adding the lighted LEDs together. Here's an example for error code F2E3 and error code F6E7
L-WFW F2E3.jpg
L-WFW F6E7.jpg

To view last 4 fault codes: Turn cycle selector knob clockwise to view fault codes in the order of most recent to oldest. A fault/error code will be removed from memory if it does not reoccur after 10 consecutive wash cycles.

blueyzfr6

Premium Member
Around 30 seconds in the prior video, it sounds like something should be spinning, but its not

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What error code did you get from Ricks instructions in post #6?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It was hard to see in the video, but I ran the video a few times and it looks like its F5E1 – LID SWITCH FAULT which makes sense because I never heard your lid try to lock in your previous video.

I'm attaching your tech data sheet below.

When the lid switch error comes up, its a bad lid switch. Also check to make sure your lid strike is not broken either.

Here's the lid lock switch for your model:
Door Latch W11307244

Here's the lid strike for your model:
Strike W10837741

Watch this video below to replace it:

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W10740624 - Rev B.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 25

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes per your video, your error code is F5E1 – LID SWITCH FAULT

How is the suspension ok in the video?
It NEVER spins in the video, so I don't know.:)

But if you say it spins violently, then you will need a new suspension rod/spring kit as well:
W11130362 Suspension spring kit

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your control board is shot.

Control Board W11116590

That's the problem when you buy used appliances, you are getting someone else's problem child.

Jake

blueyzfr6

Premium Member
Well the latch is fixed now I'm getting a F7E5 error I believe. The tub and everything spin freely. When I do the manual test it won't go into Low Spin OR High Spin OR Gentle Agitation OR Heavy Agitation. The only thing that happens is all 5 green lights flash 3 times. And that's it

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's a easy way to find out if the shift actuator is bad: Go into diagnostics and retrieve the codes, and clear them. This is very important since most complaints start with the lid lock on and blinking, or the unit will not start and spin.

If, when in diagnostics the codes are F7E1, F7E5, or motor speed codes, then chances are it is a motor, capacitor, or shifter related issue. Once the codes are cleared, put the washer into a manual diagnostic test and run the HEAVY AGITATION; if
after 15‐20 Seconds the motor runs then you can rule out the motor, capacitor, control, and most likely the wiring harness connections (although still check the BK wire from the shifter to the control). Remember, the timing wheel only turns in the
transmission during the spin cycle.

Next, while in Manual diagnostics, try to get the unit to spin; if the motor hums for a split second and then shuts down with the lid lock blinking; go back into diagnostic codes and look for shifter or speed sensor errors.

This is proof that the shifter/sensor assembly is the issue because the optical sensor is not reading the motor speed.

Rick posted the shift actuator for your model in post #2.

Jake