• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Washer WTW57ESVW1 - no hot water

jharbin

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW57ESVW1
Brand
Whirlpool
My WP washer WTW57ESVW1 will not provide hot water. I set for normal wash and temp for hot. All that comes out is cold. I did my own troubleshooting. I assumed it would be the water valve. When turned on, the cold solenoid has 120V the hot does not. I swapped the hot and cold electrical connectors and could get hot water so I believe the water valve is good. I replaced the temperature control since I was not getting 120V on the hot solenoid. No go, still ended up with no hot water. I noticed that the water valve has a temp sensor built in. Disconnected the wires and measured around 75k.

Swapped connections on water valve to get hot water and measured 35K on the sensor, so I think the thermal sensor is probably ok. I set the machine for Bulky and hot. The chart says it should be "HOT" when in Bulky mode so I don't think the temp sensor is used in that setting. Still get cold water. I'm beginning to think the machine thinks it's in RINSE mode (if even possible) since rinse would always be cold. That points me at the timer but at $200 for that part I can't take that gamble. Any advice you could give would be appreciated! Thank you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm attaching the wiring diagram below.

You already replaced this part below?

Temperature Switch WPW10248240

Look at the wiring diagram you will see ATC/LS CONTROL. Number 4 on that goes to the HOT side of the water inlet valve. See if your getting 120 volts from Number 4 directly to Number 11.

If sounds like its possibly a broken wire to the HOT side.

Jake

Attachments

• w10248227-revb.pdf
    248.7 KB · Views: 65

jharbin

Premium Member
Yes that is the part. I had replaced it in March 2020 for a pressure issue. I just replaced it again this weekend with a new part. I'll test again tonight at the points you listed. Thanks for the help.

jharbin

Premium Member
I tried the old temp switch and the new one. Both read the same.
Temp setting 3-11 4-11
Cold 123V 2.5V
Hot 123V 2.5V

Removed and switched wires 3 and 4 in the connector at the temp switch.
Temp setting 3-11 4-11
Cold 123V 2.5V
Hot 123V 2.5V

Removed wires 3,4,11 from connector and checked pins at temp switch.
Temp setting 3-11 4-11
Cold 123V 123V
Hot 123V 123V

Checked resistance of wires (disconnected at temp switch)
11 - 3 = 775ohm
11 - 4 = 775ohm
3 - 4 = 1542ohm
Wires to chassis = open

The wife is about done with me. She’s hated this washer since we bought it. It’s always been loud and walked around on the floor. I hate to be defeated, but I’m ready to break out the BIG HAMMER and move on. :)

jharbin

Premium Member
I see on the timer that 11 is wash and 12 is rinse. 11 is across pins 5 and 8 on the temp switch. I can't find 12 on the diagram. Is 11 controlling whether the temp switch thinks it is in rinse vs wash? Perhaps that would explain the issue.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's the problem, that tech. sheet does not say what 11 is for. I assume its neutral since both HOT and COLD are in the same circuit with it.

So, I agree with your wife, its best to dump this washer and get a new one, as the tech. data sheet for this model is very vague. And the new washers don't use this Temperature Switch anymore.

Jake

jharbin

Premium Member
to close out this thread.......

I measured across pins 5 and 8 of the temp switch. No matter where I set the timer I could not get circuit 11 to close. Bright idea, put a jumper across the pins and see if I get hot water. DO NOT DO THIS! Applied power and no water at all. Removed jumper, no water at all. Uh oh. Swapped out the temp switch with the new one I had and back to having just cold water. Still say the issue is the timer, but to costly to replace. Ordered new washing machine this morning.

Thanks Jake for all your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I agree, its best to start over with a new washer, rather than put almost $200 into it for a new timer. This washer was made in 2009. So that's over 10 years. The average life of washers now is only 8-12 years.

Here's the timer for your model:

Jake