• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool Washer WTW7300DW0 will not engage gear to spin Wash Basket

JeffreyC

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW7300DW0
Brand
Whirlpool
Greetings

Been fighting with my Whirlpool WTW7300DW0 for over 2 months.

Throughout the past many troubleshooting and component replacement, I have encountered various error codes F7E3, F7E3, F7E9, F1E2
These codes may not have appeared together at the same time but as I did my incremental troubleshooting, 'repairs', retest, I see new codes.

Encountered multiple problems with the washer from the beginning
- Timer count down with timer frequently extended time, and did not do anything
- Did not go agitate mode
- Did not go Spin mode (it did originally and subsequently stopped)

Without going through all the steps I have taken, the following components were replaced after reviewing the Technical Service Manual (found within the WTW7300 Washer)

1) Clutch Magnet (initial troubleshooting)
2) Slider/Shifter (noticed some wear marks and read notes from others who have had the same problem)
3) Transmission Gear Case (following the troubleshooting steps identified in the service manual)
4) Control board (following the troubleshooting steps identified in the service manual)

Followed line by line steps for:
Test #1 - Main Control
Test #3 - Drive System
Test #3a - Drive System (shifter)
Test #3b - Drive System (motor)

After all these validation, and multiple test of the wire integrity from the Control Board at the top to the Shifter & Motor connection at the bottom, The wires are intact per the readings from the Ohmmeter.
Also checked with the Ohmmeter the terminals on the Stator and it reads around 9.8 Ohms

Upon running the 052 (Load Calibration), still encountered F7E5. Prior F7E2, F7E3, F7E9, F1E2 no longer appearing.
Double checked all the wiring again and cleared all the error code.

Ran these following tests, and the following were observed at the Service Test Mode
- 013 (Toggle Slow Agitate) - The Wash Plate/Agitator does Agitate
- 010 (Low Speed Spin) - Only the Wash Plate spun and the whole wash basket remained stationary
- 012 (High Speed Spin) - Again only the Wash Plate spun very quickly and whole wash basket remained stationary
- 051 (Service Diagnostic Verification Cycle) - The diagnostic went through all the steps but stopped at 18(SPIN)
Upon reading the error, still flagged F7E5

For my last set of tests,
- took out the Wash Plate and Wash Basket, exposing only outer bin & the transmission gears that sticks into the outer bin
- taped the glass lid on but with the upper cover raised to see the exposed transmission gears within the outer bin
- engage 000 (locked the lid) - to allow for 013 and 010 test
- ran 013 (Toggle Slow Agitate) - Small gear that controls the wash plate spun in agitate mode with the whole outer bin shaking
- ran 010 (Low Speed Spin) - ONLY the small gear (that controls the Wash Plate) rotated. The large gear (that controls the Wash Basket) will not spin

I am at a loss
Washer now has a new Slider/Shifter (W10734521)
Wiring is intact from the Control Board to the Shifter/Slider & Motor contacts at the bottom
Just for kicks, I swapped back to the old clutch magnet, same problem (Large Gear will not spin, Small Gear spins)
The error code still flags F7E5

If I had not spent so much for these replacement components, I would have just junk this washer (only 6 years old)

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated?

JeffreyC

Premium Member
Following up to my initial post

The Slider/Shifter (W10734521) that I bought as replacement part looks like the following. This part came in Whirlpool Corp Factory Certified Parts plastic bag

1654967751343.png

This replacement part looks a little bit different from the one I pulled out from my washer (picture below is not the actual used item - I copied and pasted this from the Internet for reference)

1654967846432.png

The new replacement unit slide without any restrictions on the bottom of the Transmission Gear Case.
But not sure the slight difference places any role of this inability to engage the large gear to spin the Wash Basket.

Any suggestions/feedback is greatly appreciated

Many thanks in advance

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It's usually the clutch that's gone bad when it does that.

But check these first:
• Check shifter connectors.
• Check for clothing or another item wedged between the impeller and the basket that could bind them together.
• Check that the shifter slider moves freely.

Here's the Shift Actuator(also called Slider) for your model:
Shift Actuator W10734521

The shifter coil is the clutch assembly, it has the Orange and White wires going to it.

Here's the clutch(shifter coil) assembly for your model:
W10754448 Clutch

It's also here:

Here's another member that said the new clutch fixed his:

Here's the video to access those parts and replace it:

Jake

JeffreyC

Premium Member
It's usually the clutch that's gone bad when it does that.

But check these first:
• Check shifter connectors.
• Check for clothing or another item wedged between the impeller and the basket that could bind them together.
• Check that the shifter slider moves freely.

Here's the Shift Actuator(also called Slider) for your model:
Shift Actuator W10734521

The shifter coil is the clutch assembly, it has the Orange and White wires going to it.

Here's the clutch(shifter coil) assembly for your model:
W10754448 Clutch

It's also here:

Here's another member that said the new clutch fixed his:

Here's the video to access those parts and replace it:

Jake
Hi Jake

Thanks for the feedback

I will check again the clutch, shifter connections per your recommendation
As mentioned in my original post, I have replaced the following components in step by step sequence (following the Whirlpool Technical Service Manual - found in the washer)

1) Clutch (initial troubleshooting)
2) Slider/Shifter (noticed some wear marks and read notes from others who have had the same problem)
3) Transmission Gear Case (following the troubleshooting steps identified in the service manual)
4) Control board (following the troubleshooting steps identified in the service manual)

In fact, I have tried 2 Clutch (Shift Coil) and gotten the same results (Wash Plate Agitates with the small gear but the Wash Basket with the large gear does not spin)
I have replaced the Shifter/Slider (please see my post #2) and the results is the same. There is a slight difference between the new replacement Shifter vs the old Shifter. Not sure if the slight difference makes any difference
Please see my Post #2

Again, I will try going through all the points you have raised and let you know my findings

In the meantime, if you have any other suggestions (especially to my post #2), please advise

Many thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I know you installed everything that deals with the spin problem, so check your wiring and recheck your installation.

That slider is the correct part number, so it should be fine.

Also here's the tech. data sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ofJhcJP0-NeEEDgLJfYm5JxLaMFvdtQm/view?usp=sharing

Page 12--->Won’t Spin--->Is lid lock showing open during the cycle? See TEST #8: Lid Lock, page 20.
Harness connections.--->Check harness connections between main control and drive system.
Shifter problem. See TEST #3a: Drive System – Shifter, page 15.
Motor problem. See TEST #3b: Drive System – Motor, page 16.
Main Control problem. See TEST #1: Main Control (ACU), page 14.

If you still can't find the problem, its best to have Whirlpool come out, I haven't done this repair as of yet on this model machine.

Jake

JeffreyC

Premium Member
Hi Jake

Thanks for the pointer

************************************************************************************************************
Page 12--->Won’t Spin--->Is lid lock showing open during the cycle? See TEST #8: Lid Lock, page 20.
Harness connections.--->Check harness connections between main control and drive system.
************************************************************************************************************

I will also look into the Lid Lock wiring

Interesting observations during my series of manual diagnostics:
- Manual test of 000 (Locking & unlocking the Lid), it clicks lock and unlock of the lid
- Manual test of 010 (slow spin) or 014 (slow agitate), after locking the lid manually with 000, after the tests, when I tried to unlock the lid (via 000), it is stuck in locked state
- Only way to get out of locked lid is to power off the washer, and the lid light blinks
- Unplugged the power, leave it unplugged for over 60 mins, and plugged power back, the lid automatically clicks to unlock

Now I am wondering if the lid lock is the cause of the of the problem or the cabling to the lid lock.
I did not suspect the lid lock as I was able to locked manually and initiate the 014 (slow agitate)
Further confusion was that when I invoked 010 (slow spin), with the lid locked (with 000), the small gear spun and the large gear did not spin (this adds to the confusion that this is clutch/slider/gearcase focused)

Thanks for the suggestions. I will investigate lid wiring

JeffreyC

Premium Member
Good evening Jake

After multi-days of troubleshooting, I think I am getting close and probably can wrapped this up as FIXED

Summary,

Test #8 - Lid Lock. Very difficult to test as the Main Control contacts (J6) for the Lid Mechanism are very hard to access.
Read voltages wherever it was possible to get proper readings.
Disassembled the lid lock wiring to check for frail cabling ---- Did not locate any failure points.
Also executed 000 multiple times and was able to manually lock and unlock lid w/o any problem.

Test #3a - Shifter. Rechecked multiple times the wiring from the Main Control (J4) to Clutch Magnet at the bottom. Cabling was intact
For peace of mind, I took out the new Clutch Magnet, inspect it and reinstalled back with the stator.

Test #3b - Motor. Rechecked the ohms on the Motor connection on the Main Control (J1). Proper 9.8ohms were read.
Validated the same 9.8ohms on the Motor connections on the bottom. Also confirmed the cabling was intact from the Main Control to Stator Motor at the bottom.

Test #1 - Main Control. Quick verification on AC & DC voltage readings on the Main Control board.
Since this is a brand new unit, the correct readings were expected. The old unit had inconsistent readings (during Diagnostics) but this new unit did not have the same occurrence.

Last but not least, while reviewing the Motor Cover (that covers the stator, clutch and shifter, noticed the inner gear pattern (of the Motor Cover) aligns with the gear pattern of the shifter.
The gear pattern on the Motor Cover, though intact but it appears very rough. I applied Lithium Grease onto the gear pattern within the Motor Cover, hopefully this can help the shifter to engage the gears.

After all these checks & validation, I did the manual tests
010 - Low Speed Spin
013 - Low Agitate
014 - Fast Agitate
All 3 test were successful

Hooked up the water and discharged hose, did the
051 - Service Diagnostic Verification Cycle
Did it twice and double checked on both instances the individual status for each of the steps. They were complete and also successful.

Finally, ran a test wash of some T shirts, wash went through the complete agitate and spin cycles.

After 3 months (3/15) when my wife first complaint that the washer appeared to be having some problem, I think this is finally fixed.
In summary, I think the failed components were
- Shifter
- Clutch Magnet
- Main Control
- Also the Motor Cover (needed Lithium Grease to allow easier gear engaging)

Thanks a million for your guidance and patience.

You are the best !!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds like your back in business.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake