• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool Washer WTW8500DC5 tub violent shaking

Shelbast20

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW8500DC5
Brand
Whirlpool
Our whirlpool top load washer was in the middle of a cycle when an error message showed and my husband said the door wasn’t closed all the way. My husband didn’t think anything of it and cancelled out of the error message (he thinks said F6) and started the washer to finish the last 40mins

The washer makes a loud clicking noise when the door locks, and water comes out.. then the spin cycle was VIOLENTLY shaking, as if the inner tub is very loose and banging around on the inside.

I turned it off, and started again to get a video but I would have to wait for the spin cycle to get a video of the violent shaking. But this shows how the tub seems almost really loose even when it spins slowly. It was a small load.. I’m not sure what happened but something must have broke! Also.. it seems like the tub is no longer filling with water. I can see the water going in, but it isn’t filling up to cover the clothes. When I open it, I can move the tub around and almost hear sloshing under the tub?

Any ideas on where to start with this?

Corrected model number

Attachments

• IMG_9961.MOV
    29.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
WTE8500DC5 doesn't pull up as good, please recheck your model number.

Read it from the tag on the machine, it should be located under the lid.

Jake

Shelbast20

Premium Member
Oops. Sorry about that. Should be WTW8500DC5

Attachments

• 0B9A0A7B-C2F4-419B-8C0D-A6A3E2FFF7AC.jpeg
    0B9A0A7B-C2F4-419B-8C0D-A6A3E2FFF7AC.jpeg
    408.4 KB · Views: 20

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks! I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below.

On page 2--->ACTIVATING SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC MODE
Page 3--->Activation with Saved Fault Codes--->If there is a saved fault code, it will be flashing in the display. Review the Fault/Error Codes table on pages 8–10 for the recommended procedure. If there is no saved fault code, “888” will be displayed.

With NO CLOTHES in the tub, run a rinse and spin cycle and let us know if the tub still violently shakes and bangs.

Jake

Attachments

• W10607408-revf.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 28

Shelbast20

Premium Member
Hello! Finally got back home from vacation.

The error code is F0E5. It says:
Fault is displayed when an off balance condition is detected.
• Check for weak suspension. Basket should not bounce up and down
more than once when pushed.
• Items should be distributed evenly when loading.

I ran a rinse and spin cycle with no clothes and there was still an unusual loud noise when the door locked, but it ran great! Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
--->Check for weak suspension. Basket should not bounce up and down more than once when pushed.
Does it bounce up and down more than once when pushed?

I ran a rinse and spin cycle with no clothes and there was still an unusual loud noise when the door locked
Was the tub still banging when the tub was spinning?

I'm not sure what you mean by the loud noise when the door locked, if you can make a video and upload it here or upload the video to Youtube and post the Youtube link here. Or share your video per Google Drive, Dropbox, or Microsoft OneDrive and post the share link here.

Jake