• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Whirlpool WDT720PADM2 running erratic, detergent no dispersing

Fast Ed

Premium Member
Model Number
WDT720PADM2
Brand
Whirlpool
Dishwasher recently started showing incomplete dispersing of detergent, and seemed erratic in operation, spray arms starting and stopping frequently and draining seemingly when it shouldn't, like after a couple of short spray sequences.

Will spray stop if water level drops? It'll spray for 5 sec or so then stop and then start spraying again cycling like that a few times and sounds like it refills also. I've run the Service Diagnostic Cycle a few times(read it backwards 1st couple times, interval 1 is the LAST? WTF?!?)

Anyway, got F6E2 and F6E4 indicating fill issues, but tub seems to fill near to the level of heater, and fill switch clicks when I raise it...I ran a 1 hr wash today and it seemed ok, but not a great wash. The detergent dispersed pretty completely, tho. And the wash arm cycling was going on at times, too.

Can you point me to a good teardown guide, also? I've only pulled the main screen and bottom arm, haven't gone any further than that. Thanks for any help...Jake, do I need a motor??? You think it's intermittent? It seems to cycle pretty regular not erratic, but 5 on 5 off type of thing...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Ed,

Will spray stop if water level drops?
No. If the water level drops then its siphoning the water out due to your drain hose being too low.

It'll spray for 5 sec or so then stop and then start spraying again cycling like that a few times and sounds like it refills also.
That's normal, for about 4 or 5 times because its sensing, but after that the wash motor should run non-stop till the 1st wash cycle is over.

If the wash motor doesn't run non-stop after the 4 or 5 starts/stops sensing phase, then It's most likely the wash motor itself that's bad, been seeing quite of few of these go bad as of late.

Look at post #7 here: FIXED 665.13472N411 What to check on why it only washes about 5% of the cycle.

I'd first check to see if your getting 120 volts to the wash motor when it should be in the wash cycle. His Kenmore 665 made by Whirlpool and uses the exact same wash motor yours does.

Take the wire connector off the wash motor and use your multimeter to see if yours is getting 120 volts when it should be washing, if so and it's not running order the wash motor below.

Here is the wash motor assembly you can order:
W11032770 Motor-Pump

Here's the video that shows how to replace it: Dishwasher Circulation Pump Replacement

Let us know what you find.

Jake