Ponchoguy

Premium Member
Model Number
WDT780SAEM1
Brand
Whirlpool
Jake:

My nephew has this one, and the report I get is:

"When he runs the dishwasher it cleans fine, dishes are clean etc. If dishes sit in the washer until he unloads he notices a dusty “hot cocoa color” residue on door. It’s a brownish red, looks like and feels like hot cocoa powder. He’s concerned it’s rust.
There doesn’t seem to be any indication of rust inside tub or around door."

One thing I wrote back to him was to make sure he's not washing anything iron (perhaps a pot or skillet). I though I read in my book for my new #13229 (WLP made Kenmore) that it's a no-no to do that as it could stain the inside. Any ideas? Photos are attached.

Thanks.

Attachments

Ponchoguy

Premium Member
Also, if it matters, he lives in Winston-Salem, NC with regard to the water quality and/or content.

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's interesting, I have not seen that happen to any of these dishwashers here in my local area of Western Arizona.

I really have no clue what that could be, hopefully another tech or member that has can shed some light on this issue for us.:)

Jake

Ponchoguy

Premium Member
Jake:

I'm going to talk to him and/or my sister and see what he's washing. Here's the manual for my machine (665.13229N414), which of course is also WLP made. Page 18 details what not to wash in the machine:

Thanks again.

Added owners manual as attachment

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Poncho, sounds good.

Jake

Ponchoguy

Premium Member
Jake:

It appears to have lessened a bit. I told my nephew to make sure the filters are clean so that he's not recycling dirt in the machine. He did tell my sister that he cleaned some non-stick cookware in the machine, so maybe that coating came loose when it was in the cycle?

He's keeping an eye on it and will report back with more information hopefully soon.

Thanks again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
He did tell my sister that he cleaned some non-stick cookware in the machine, so maybe that coating came loose when it was in the cycle?
Yup, that's probably what did it.

Yes, keep your eye on it Poncho!

Jake

Ponchoguy

Premium Member
Gents:

Response from my nephew:

"It's mostly gone away. I think it's coming from my baking sheets - when I wipe them down the water beads on them are an orange color so I think they're rusting. I bought new pans so hopefully that'll resolve it 100%."

I think we can close this one. Thanks for all input as always.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That makes sense.:)

Thanks for the update Poncho!

Jake