FIXED Whirlpool WDT920SADM1 Won't Wash

jfridge92

Premium Member
Model
WDT920SADM1
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi,

New to the forums and appliance repair, but not new to electronics and fixing things. The house we bought has a Whirlpool WDT920SADM1 that was built in 2015 per the serial number date code. Recently it started to give us issues where it would run, and then at the end of the cycle, we would open it and find that there would still be soap at the bottom of the dishwasher as if it did not run at all. I threw it into diagnostic mode and the codes that popped up were the following:

F7 E1 - Heating Element doesn't work
F8 E1 - slow drain
F- E- ??? Not sure what this code means, I could not find it online
F6 E4 - float switch stuck open.

While in diagnostics mode, I confirmed that the dishwasher does fill properly, it does drain, and it does heat with the heating element. When you start a cycle, it will fill, click when the float switch reaches the "full" position, and then there is a very brief (like less than a second) click then hum like the motor is energizing but nothing happens. It'll click one or two more times, and then immediately drain and repeat the process over and over until you cancel the cycle.

So far, I have verified that the float switch is good with my multimeter, confirmed that there are no clogs or blockages in the drain pump or tube, and verified that the heating element works. I also pulled the wash arms, diffuser, and filters out to clean, and also poked my fingers around in the inlet holes in the sump to try and feel any obstructions (breaker was off, don't worry) and I couldn't feel anything. I also could not feel the circulation pump impeller, so I am guessing the pump has to come out to actually get to that.

While searching the forums, I did find two other threads with similar model issues, and those pointed to the circulation pump. The way this sump is designed, it's nearly impossible to reach the circulation pump wiring without pulling the washer out of the cabinets, which I have not been able to do yet as our 1 year old takes up all the time lol. Does this sound like all signs point to the circulation pump being bad? Since it does kind of hum really quick like it's trying to start and then it immediately stops and clicks, that would make sense, unless there's a blockage and it has some kind of protection if it senses the impeller can't spin. I'm just confused as to why it drains immediately after the pump does not run and it clicks.

Sorry for the long thread, but any help would be great! My wife and I are definitely over hand washing dishes already lol. That's time that could be spent entertaining the screaming little one :)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

The way this sump is designed, it's nearly impossible to reach the circulation pump wiring without pulling the washer out of the cabinets, which I have not been able to do yet as our 1 year old takes up all the time lol. Does this sound like all signs point to the circulation pump being bad?
Yes, It's most likely a bad wash motor, this has become a common problem as of late, many members here have reported the same. In fact I had 2 this past Sept. 2018 in Parker, Arizona that did the exact same thing, and the new wash motor fixed them both.:)

Do you have a friend or family meter that could test it for you? It is quite a job pulling the dishwasher out to volt test for 120 volts at the wash motor AND with a 1 year old its nearly impossible for you to do it, I agree.:)

Look at post #7 here: FIXED 665.13472N411 What to check on why it only washes about 5% of the cycle.

I'd first check to see if your getting 120 volts to the wash motor when it should be in the wash cycle. His Kenmore 665 is made by Whirlpool, and uses the exact same wash motor yours does.

Take the wire connector off the wash motor and use your multimeter to see if yours is getting 120 volts when it should be washing, if so and it's not running order the wash motor below.

Here is the wash motor assembly you can order:
W11032770 Motor-Pump

Here's the video to replace it: Dishwasher Circulation Pump Replacement Video

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

jfridge92

Premium Member
Thanks for the quick reply Jake!

I was able to pull the dishwasher out this morning while my wife kept the little one entertained, and confirmed that the wiring connector at the circulation pump is receiving 119.7v when it's being commanded to run, the pump just won't start. Just ordered a new one, and I will update with the results.

update: new motor should actually be here by tonight!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good, let us know how it goes.:)

Jake

jfridge92

Premium Member
Well, I just got the new circulation pump in and it's running through diagnostic mode now to calibrate everything. So far it's working! Before after it would fill, I could only hear what I believe was the diverter motor running but nothing else. This time, the circulation pump kicked on immediately after it finished filling, so I think we are good to go! Hopefully the other error codes will clear up after the diagnostic finishes running.

Out of curiosity, is there thread I missed or a tech sheet anywhere on this model that lists out the error codes? This washer has a digital display but I couldn't find one of the codes it threw. Thanks again for the help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member