• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool WOS11EM4EB doesnt heat

BobbyJ

Premium Member
Model Number
WOS11EM4EB
Brand
Whirlpool
My friend installed a brand new out of the box whirlpool WOS11EM4EB. He had me wire it for him. I am not a professional electrician, but i know my way around. The house had a 3 wire (aluminum) source, and the oven has a 4 wire. The oven turns on, lights up, fan works, control panel functions properly, but the oven doesnt heat up, neither does the broiler. Could this be a defective unit or a bad wire connection?

I hooked black to black, red to red, and white and copper together to single aluminum wire (common/ground)

Thanks ahead of time

Bobby

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Did anyone confirm 240 volts to the appliance?

The elements are powered by 240 volts, the rest of the electrical on 120 only. If one leg of the 240 volts wasn't present, just the elements could cease to function.

Dan O.

BobbyJ

Premium Member
Yes, before I began i tested the legs and had the 240. The oven was already installed when I began, so I did not confirm the 240 in the oven.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
BobbyJ said:
before I began i tested the legs and had the 240.

Where did you do that?

BobbyJ said:
I did not confirm the 240 in the oven.

I was suggesting someone confirm the full 240 volts was present where the house wiring or cord connects to the appliance wiring.

Dan O.

BobbyJ

Premium Member
I was suggesting someone confirm the full 240 volts was present where the house wiring or cord connects to the appliance wiring.

Dan O.

Thats what i did, i tested the house wiring at the outlet

I did end up fixing it today, i simply redid all the connections, used better wire nuts and it now works as designed.

I'm curious though....did i just happen to get a good connection on the correct wire to power up all the lights and everything, or will that stuff work connected to either black or red?

Thanks

Bobby

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
BobbyJ said:
did i just happen to get a good connection on the correct wire to power up all the lights

I would think so. I can't see any other way the rest would power up.

I'm glad it was something simple. Thanks for the followup.

Dan O.