Whirlpool WRB322DMHV noise level

crawfish

Premium Member
Model
WRB322DMHV
Brand
Whirlpool
Just had a new WRB322DMHV bottom freezer model delivered, and this thing is loud. It's nearly as loud as my dishwasher and washing machine and dryer, which are not quiet. The nature of the noise is not unlike my central A/C condensing unit. It has less high-pitched whine than other fridges I've had, but the low pitch hum/buzz is ridiculous. I've managed to hear what I guess is the evaporator fan by itself, and while loud, it doesn't sound abnormal. When the compressor and condenser fan kick on, the noise level increases, and the hum/buzz dominates. At the bottom front, I measured 56 dBC with my Radio Shack meter, for what that's worth. I can easily hear it in the most distant room in my house, which was not the case for the two other fridges I've had, a GE SxS circa 2008 and an Insignia top freezer, which were dominated by various high-pitched whines and frequent "groaning," respectively, the latter sounding like a low-speed drill operating for less than a second but occurring up to dozens of times per cycle, worsening after opening the doors. Eliminate those sounds, and I'd have been left with fan white noise, which is much more tolerable and nowhere near as loud as the Whirlpool buzz/hum.

Any ideas? Is that just the way it is with Whirlpool? The noise from this brand new 2019 one reminds me very much of the 1995 Kitchenaid top freezer model in the garage.

BTW, be careful reversing the door swing on the WRB322. The instructions are the worst I've ever seen, mishmashing at least 3 different types of fridges into one incomprehensible mess. That's what the manual does as a whole; among other things, it describes completely different controls than my fridge has. It's truly terrible and borderline useless. Things to watch out for when reversing the door include:

1. Scratching the door when removing the handle. The sharp corners of the handle top and bottom don't like black stainless steel. I got a little nick I filled in with a Sharpie.
  2. The cheap plastic screws covering the handle holes on the opposite side are very easy to break off at the head. I used an ice pick and hammer to push the screw shaft through, so I was able to complete the transfer.
  3. Don't forget to move the door stop, which is attached to the bottom of the door where the hinge was. You can still do it after you reverse the door, thankfully.

Anyway, that's what I learned having never done this before. On the plus side, the fridge cools great, down to 35 and -8 F on default settings.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Make a video of the sounds from your new refrigerator, we need to hear it.

Then you can upload the video to Youtube and post the Youtube link here. Or share your video per Google Drive, Dropbox, or Microsoft OneDrive and post the share link here.

Jake

crawfish

Premium Member
Link below. I recorded this on my iPhone about 2 feet from the bottom of the fridge. The first 5 seconds are what I believe to be the evaporator fan, and then the compressor and condenser fan turn on. Absent the fridge running, the recording would be essentially silence. Sorry I didn't get the baseline noise in the recording. The noise is more obnoxious in person than played back on my stereo. My iPhone didn't pick up all the hum/buzz, but hopefully you can judge whether it's abnormal or not.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ApUWya8x9TZHR7fQ1SGPhSogFFZSTRWW/view?usp=sharing

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, its sounds normal to me.:)

But like you said your iphone didn't pick up all the hum/buzz and I'd need to hear that too.

Since its brand new contact the store where you got it from and they will send a tech. out under warranty to make sure it's not abnormal.:)

Jake

crawfish

Premium Member
Thanks, I think it's just inherently loud. I can't find any model fridge that people don't complain about noise level, though I can't remember it being a problem more than 20 years ago. I distinctly remember A/C condensing units being a problem way back, so it ain't just me becoming more sensitive. If I were to try another brand, I fear the hum would be replaced with louder whine, which I really hate. I briefly had a Samsung French door 10 years ago but returned it because the thing frequently made loud popping noises due to thermal expansion/contraction. I see people still complaining about that for current models.

BTW, I did have a tech out to evaluate the Insignia. He said the "groaning," "cow mooing," and the many other ways people describe the noise, is normal. I saved a recording of it. Ever heard anything like it?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1P_MAaNtYTiQejXtRtf7AKZBvwEVD1b97

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I did have a tech out to evaluate the Insignia. He said the "groaning," "cow mooing," and the many other ways people describe the noise, is normal.
That sounds abnormal to me.

Jake