• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Whirlpool WRF736SDAM12 new ice maker not filling with water.

MPK

Premium Member
Model Number
WRF736SDAM12
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a Gold Series refrigerator (model WRF736SDAM12). I replaced the ice maker after getting an E2 error code after it went several days (couple weeks actually) without making ice.

I replaced it, and it was working for a couple days but the ice bucket didn’t fill all the way. Now I am noticing that it does not always fill with ice. I’ve tried test 45 and I can hear a humming noise for a few seconds, but no water gets into the ice maker.

The water dispenser works fine. Any ideas? I’d love to avoid removing the ceiling panel inside the fridge as it cracked a little bit when I took it off to replace the ice maker.

MPK

Premium Member
I think it is because the line going into the ice maker is freezing up. Any thoughts?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It sounds like its possibly that water inlet valve, leaking a tiny amount of water into the ice maker fill tube, thus freezing it up. Its located inside the top of your refrigerator section, there is a video in that part link that shows you how to access it.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model:
Water Inlet Valve WPW10341329

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You are welcome.

Jake

MPK

Premium Member
So, I changed the inlet valve. Right before I changed it, the ice maker was working great and produced almost a full bucket. Now it hardly produces any. I hear it cycling and trying to draw in water, but it doesn’t.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Then you got a defective water inlet valve, where did you buy it at?

Jake

MPK

Premium Member
It still does fill up sometimes but not all the time.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its a bad water inlet valve, that's all it can be.

Contact the place where you got it from and have them send you another new one.

Jake

MPK

Premium Member
Ok thanks I will try another one.

Isn’t there a heater where the fill tube meets the ice maker unit? Shouldn’t that prevent freeze ups?

This is all new to me so thanks for the help

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you will need a multimeter to check if your getting proper voltage to the ice maker fill tube heater. I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below.

Do Service Test - 19 Ice Maker Fill Tube Heater and Facia Heater Status
--->Control the Ice Maker Fill Tube Heater and Facia Heater selecting SW3 (toggle between On and Off)
(01 = ON, 02 = OFF)

On the main control board, located on the back exterior wall of your refrigerator, take a voltage reading on P2-6 to P1-2 when you toggle it On. 01 = ON.

You should be getting 115 volts when its 01 = ON if you DON'T get 115 volts, then your main control board is the problem.

Here's the main control board for your model:
WPW10589838 Electronic Control Board

Plus you get $60 credit on your credit card when you return the old one.

Jake

Attachments

• W10568023.pdf
    828.4 KB · Views: 20

MPK

Premium Member
Well now this morning it’s done about 5 or 6 cycles and is working great. Bucket is almost full. I’ll just keep an eye on it I guess.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you get another new water inlet valve or it just took time to kick out the ice fully?

I forgot to mention some can take up to 72 hours to kick out the ice fully.

Jake

MPK

Premium Member
I did not get another new one. I installed one on Saturday and maybe it just needed the 72 hours to get going. It’s been going strong all day.

I am also wondering if while doing the tests on the tech sheet related to the ice maker I may have inadvertently turned off the fill tube heater. I ran it again yesterday to make sure it was on and it started working again overnight.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake